Yet another APRS Board

kg4wsv:

I'd like to find a pair of connectors I can use to mount the GPS on-board as well as inserting a cable in-between (and something a little more robust than a pair of 0.1" connectors).

What about a board to board connection, no cable? Samtec makes a 0.1" socket (web site drawing ) that may fit the bill - it would allow that header on the GPS to plug in through the board, so the GPS mounts flat. I don't have any experience with this particular connector, but I've got a device that has a similar 2mm version of this thing, and it makes for an incredibly low profile mount. If you want to break it out, I'd do it by adding a connector to the PCB (if I understand what you're trying to accomplish, that is).

I'll have to take a close look at the Samtec stuff - interesting.

kg4wsv:

do you think it would be wise to increase the size of the RF trace?

What I know about RF PCB layout would fit in a gnat's navel. If it were me, I'd put the connectors as close together as possible, so that my ignorance had limited impact. :expressionless:

-j

Ok, just checking. I'll follow-up with an updated version that has the distance between the radio and SMA connector reduced to less than .3".

Thanks again for your input,

Brad.