2*2 cm cut-down Arduino Leonardo with radio module

Hi guys,

I have been working on a miniature, low power wireless remote node based on the ATmega32U4 MCU (the same used in Leonardo Arduino). This is a Open Source Project, all design files and documentation is available here: [OBSOLETE] Funky v2 – Martin's corner on the web.
I wish to say that I am amateur, only started learning electronics on hobby level recently.

The highlights are:

• 2*2 cm in size, only few mm thick
  • can be powered from a CR2032 coin cell
  • 0.04mA @ 3V in sleep mode
  • Programmed via the USB - just like Arduino Leonardo
  • Has a RFM12B radio module for wireless communication with other sensor nodes or another node acting as a gateway (logging the data or forwarding it to the Internet)
  • Option for on-board voltage step-up boost regulator

I build these by hand using hot air gun - a slow process, but the outcome is beautiful:

Comments are welcome :slight_smile:

martin_bg:
...the outcome is beautiful:

Indeed it is ! Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing, Geoff

Nice work. I'm wanting to do something similar with the mini-pro... where I put in pull down resistors on 6 of my digital inputs.... and then voltage dividing resistors for 4 or 7 (application dependent) 3mm LEDs. Of course I can punt the resistors if I go with the 8mhz 3.3 variety.

I want to permanently mount an RJ45 header for the inputs (I'll run power, 6 inputs and a spare down a section of Cat5e to my devices in the field) and a 9v power header for power. The inputs would of course also need a pull down resistor to ground.

Then I 'd need 10 additional pins that I just connect a ribbon cable to, in order to accommodate the interface elements mounted on a small board on the enclosure (buttons, LEDs, etc...).

Curious to why you ran the pin holes in a slalom configuration?

ODwyerPW:

So that you can plug pin headers without soldering them.. for quick testing

ODwyerPW:

https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/114

Brilliant! Thanks for the link. I learned something very useful!

Learning never stops.

I'm also impressed with your camera , it picks up the laser pitting. ]:smiley:
I just made a carbon skirt for an mcu to help a friend, basically a little frame with extra connectors.
I think this great!