CuHead WifiShield v2.0 Not working!

:~

Hi,

I'm new to the world of arduino so please be patient with me. I've purchased the Arduino Duemilanove and the CuHead WifiShield v2.0.

Although I have managed to get simple projects up and running on the Arduino and pulling my hair out with trying to get the WifiShield to work.

I tried the SimpleServer example.

I assigned the WifiShield a unique IP address and I reserved this IP on my router for the WifiShield.
I entered the IP address of my router, the SSID and password of my wifi and set the structure to INFRA.

Uploaded the code to the Arduino and although the RED Led on the WifiShield is on and steady, I can't ping it or access it via my browser.

What am I doing wrong? :~

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hal

Have you selected the correct encryption variant? The WIFI_ON LED does only signal that the shield is able to communicate to a Wifi network with the supplied SSID. To understand the traffic it must also be able to decrypt it. So if either the encryption variant or the passphrase is wrong you won't get more than the light from the LED.

I'm 100% certain the passphrase and security_type (variant) is correct.
The strange thing is if remove all types on encryption and then select open for the variant (security_type) the Red LED light does not even come on. :~ Even when choosing the wrong variant the Red LED light does not come on.

I didn't think it would be so difficult getting one of these things going.
My router is a Netgear. I'm assuming there are no compatibility issues with my wifi_shield.

The line I've been experimenting with is b/g.

Where did you get the library from? Provide a link to the version you're using.

I was never able to get the Sparkfun WiFi card to use a static address. It always resorts to DHCP.

I've code from here:

and here:

Both are not working. Are these ok to use?

How are you powering it? From the datasheet:

Low power usage
Sleep mode: 250?A
Transmit: 230mA
Receive: 85mA

If your computer's usb port can handle a full 500ma, you should be ok.
If you are using Vin (barrel jack), and the supply voltage is more than about 9 volts, you could have a power problem.

1. I assigned the WifiShield a unique IP address and I reserved this IP on my router for the WifiShield.
    I entered the IP address of my router, the SSID and password of my wifi and set the structure to INFRA.

You are not going to be able to use a static address with the wifi shield (as of 12/08/2012). You might can get your router to assign an address via the wifi shield's MAC address, but I could never get that to work on a newer Linksys router. I would suggest testing it with DHCP. You can try to give the board a static address like IPAddress ip(192,168,1,5) till the cows come home, but its going to use DHCP. Why are you entering the IP address of the router in the SSID field? You should enter the SSID name - not a numeric address.

1. Uploaded the code to the Arduino and although the RED Led on the WifiShield is on and steady, I can't ping it or access it via my browser.

The board will respond to a ping when its connected to the network once the LED goes green. If the LED is red, there is no way a ping will work because the board is not yet on the network therefore its not reachable. If you want the board to do something with a request from a browser, there needs to be code on the Arduino to respond to that request, otherwise the wifi shield will just toss those bytes overboard. Look at the wifiServer example code for how to respond to a HTTP request.

Can you get the ConnectWithWPA example code to work, where all you do is replace the example's credentials with your credentials? Use your SSID name, not a numeric address. Make sure the baud rate in the code matches the baud rate of the serial monitor.

What is the error code you get back from: status = WiFi.begin(ssid, pass);

How far away are you from your wireless access point?

In which position is the INTX jumper?

This wiki answers most of the questions:

http://linksprite.com/wiki/index.php5?title=CuHead_WiFi_Shield_for_Arduino_V2.0#FAQ

hhassan:

Hi,

I'm new to the world of arduino so please be patient with me. I've purchased the Arduino Duemilanove and the CuHead WifiShield v2.0.

Although I have managed to get simple projects up and running on the Arduino and pulling my hair out with trying to get the WifiShield to work.

I tried the SimpleServer example.

I assigned the WifiShield a unique IP address and I reserved this IP on my router for the WifiShield.

Uploaded the code to the Arduino and although the RED Led on the WifiShield is on and steady, I can't ping it or access it via my browser.

What am I doing wrong? :~

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hal

Hi,

Did you managed to make your CuHead WifiShield v2.0 work? I'm having the same problem like you (I have Arduino Uno R3 and Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router model WRT54GL). I've tried several libraries, sketches, router configurations, power sources but without luck. I even disabled DHCP on router but still didn't work.

From time to time my WifiShield connects to router (the red led lights up) but when going on router admin page to devices list I see the shield with mac and signal but without IP address assigned!

Please, if you have successfully connected your WifiShield to your wireless network and managed to run the WebServer example, please share your knowledge with us.

Thank you!

In the end I have connected the shield to my network (with my router). It seams that the router configuration doesn't have such much efect.
This is what i've done to make it work:

1. download library from AsyncLabs - version with user contrib. (https://github.com/asynclabs/WiShield_user_contrib)
  2. changed it to work with arduino >= 1.0.0 (http://www.sundh.com/blog/2012/02/make-wishield-work-in-latest-arduino-ide/)
  3. change for CuHead WiShield V2.0 => "using digital pin 8 for interrupt, changed setting in spi.h" (http://www.linksprite.com/forum/index.php?topic=155.msg634#msg634)

Router settings: (model: Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware)

• router ip = 192.168.1.1; subnet mask = 255.255.255.0 (arduino wifi shield ip = 192.168.1.123)
  • DHCP Server = enabled ; IP Range = 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.149
  • B/G Mode = Mixed
  • Broadcast SSID = enabled
  • Channel = 2 - 2.417 GHz
  • Security = WPA / WPA2 Personal ; Encryption = TKIP / AES
  • Added wifi mac on Static DHCP table with IP = 192.168.1.123 and a Hostname = Arduino

Advanced router settings:

• DHCP / DNS : "Use Internal Caching DNS Forwarder" and "Intercept DNS Port (UDP 53)" options enabled

Arduino IDE version used: arduino-1.0.4

http://www.cutedigi.com/blog/?p=19