Power consumption

Hi,

I want to put this GSM shield into my car to be able to access services from my smartphone, ie turn the heating on/off.
Is the power consumtption of the GSM shield and the arduino board negligible? I mean what if I don't need my car for 2 weeks, will the battery be empty?

Thanks,
Tintifax

As far as I'm concerned people recommend 12V 2amps to run the GSM module. However, from my own experience, 12V 1amp is enough.

If I try to run the module just though USB connection without an external source it doesn't connect, so I guess the power consumption is not that negligible.

So it may be empty in 2 weeks...

But can't assure you, i'm just starting with gsm

All Arduinos use an linear regulator. Linear regulators have a low efficiency, if you can power it with switching regulator, you can lower power consumption alittle. If you replace the onboard regulator with a switching type you can llower the power consumption even more. But that is of course more difficult.

I used something like this
http://www.mouser.fi/Power/DC-DC-Converters/_/N-brvxe?P=1yzss9pZ1yxt7euZ1yxt7bo&Keyword=recom&FS=True

I replaced the regulator in one of mine Mega2560 boards. You have to be carefull but it can be done