Cant upload to board

When I try to uplaod to board I get the following error

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Also when my board is plugged in the power light shows on but the "L" light doesnt light up when reset is pressed. Is this something to do with the bootloader?

Have you followed all the advice here:-
http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting

Yeah Ive gone through that it hasn't helped.

Well that does cover most things. That sort of error is normal if you have selected the wrong board from the tools menu.

I have always used the arduino uno setting and am doing so now (have checked) I have also uninstalled and reinstalled drivers.

Run a loop back test (search the forum for details) to confirm that your PC to arduino USB serial channel is functioning or not. That error means the PC and arduino board are not communicating.

Lefty

Thanks lefty, I have tried the loop back and it seems to work although the values returned appear to be the corresponding ascii values to whatever i put in.

Where would you suggest I go from here?

although the values returned appear to be the corresponding ascii values to whatever i put in.

Not sure what that means? During a loop back test, if using the serial monitor, if you type and send the letter A you should see the letter A printed back in the serial monitors receive window. Anything else implys a problem of some kind.

Lefty

on closer inspection its chucking out random characters on some keys and nothing on others. I have connected the reset pin to earth and pins 1 and 2 to each other. I could only find one vague ref to the loop back test, i'm assuming this is correct.

Im guessing this is a general error rather than a specific one. Do you think burning the loader onto the chip again or replacing the chip would help?

i have the same problem (although my 'L' LED does blink) where did u find the loop back test
thanks

dont worry iv resolved the problem my self