Using mosfets to switch low current from a high current gate voltate

the function the arduino would provide is using its pwm digital out to dim a buckpuck via ttl.

The issue is converting a ~6-12v 8a rated rf pwm led dimmer, into something that the arduino can read from an analog input and dim the buckpuck accordingly. Linear translation of that 6-12v into 0-5v is the issue.

SEPIC, a google search could have provided you with an explanation of said acronym.

The reason i worry about the dimmer sinking all the current from the 12v dc source it would be sharing with the arduino is because its designed for led's. I could be wrong and that it follows conventional logic that it only consumes as much current as necessary to provide power for the pwm/rf circuitry, and the optoisolator circuit to get a 0-5v linear signal for the arduino input.

Ill draw up a sketch, and edit this post tonight as far as the circuit.

The basic explanation of what i want to to, is power a mega 2560 and 6-12v pwm dimmer from the same 12v supply, and use the dimmer along with the optioisolator linear voltage converter to take tht up to 12v (really 12v all the time since its pwm), and along with the optioisolator circuit, get a 0-5v analog signal to use as an arduino input to pwm ttl dim the buckpuck, per the diagram on how to do so in its datasheet.

Since the logic of said buckpuck is 5v 0% power, and 0v 100% power the arduino could also switch that so the up/down buttons on the rf remote aren't reversed. Alternatively just don't use the arduino at all. Just the dimmer/optioisolator and the buckpuck to dim the led, albeit with reversed logic on the remote (down is up up is down) due to the way the buckbuck reads the 5v ref it supplys, and its control pin (short them, and no power flows to the led, put a potiometer in between and no resistance is 0% dimming, 5v flowing, full resistance, or not shorting the buckpucks 5v ref/control and you get 100% power to the led's). Basically just backwards from how most other ttl dimming works.

Edit- Circuit Diagram attached. The only thing i might need to add is a low pass filter to change the digital pwm coming from the dimmer out, to an analog signal. No idea if the optioisolator will work with a pwm digital input.