Home Lighting server

Hi, I'm slowly changing the lighting system to 12v led circuits and would like to use the Arduino as a server/controller.

1st - I know nothing about programming beyond HTML and css.
2nd - I have found out about the ethershield had have a question.
If I build a basic web page hosted on the shields cardreader Can the arduino change some of the html so that an image is changed dependent on the state of an input?
IE

pin 1 on = display image 1
pin 1 off = display image 2

3rd - I have a matrix Orbital MX232 usb lcd, Can the arduino drive the usb lcd?
4th What kind of circuit will I need to drive the 12v pwm from the Arduino's pwn pins?

Please bear with me as my electronics date back to 2000!

Can the arduino change some of the html so that an image is changed dependent on the state of an input?

Display what on what?

If I build a basic web page hosted on the shields cardreader Can the arduino change some of the html so that an image is changed dependent on the state of an input?

Make several files for the html. html1.txt, html2.txt, etc. Then, read and output the first file, make up, and output, some stuff for the image tag, read and output the next file, etc.

Probably be good to actual host the image files somewhere else, and just reference them from that location.

matrix Orbital MX232 usb lcd

Is this really a "RS232" driven display with a USB interface??

Arduino can not act as a USB host without significant software development and a "USB Host" shield added...

AJB2K3:
Hi, I'm slowly changing the lighting system to 12v led circuits and would like to use the Arduino as a server/controller.

Sounds cool!

1. Dont worry. Its easy to pickup and understand. Don't jump right in the deep end. Break the project up into its components and then slowly bring those parts together. If you write parts in functions and clearly label your variables, then you shouldn't have any problems copy-pasting it together.

2. Simple answer. Yes.

3. Simple answer. No.

4. Without knowing what kind of 12v lights you are running, its impossible to help. Whats the system? did you make it yourself? Dimmable? Already wired in?

Cheers, have fun!

CaveDog:

AJB2K3:

Sounds cool!

1. Dont worry. Its easy to pickup and understand. Don't jump right in the deep end. Break the project up into its components and then slowly bring those parts together. If you write parts in functions and clearly label your variables, then you shouldn't have any problems copy-pasting it together.

2. Simple answer. Yes.

3. Simple answer. No.

4. Without knowing what kind of 12v lights you are running, its impossible to help. Whats the system? did you make it yourself? Dimmable? Already wired in?

Cheers, have fun!

Ok the lights are
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-METRE-BOAT-FISHING-LED-LIGHTS-WHITE-WATERPROOF-12volt-/320703708693?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4aab6e3e15 I'm braking these down do use on storage units and above the desk (need to meter to get the current use) because of there brightness and profile (currently run off a B&Q 11.5v PWN transformer) Will also use these in a moded table light.
and something like
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-x-KITCHEN-ROUND-LED-LIGHTS-DECK-DECKING-PLINTH-/250818562720?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&var=&hash=item8010690972 flush in the ceeling for main lighting.