NRI G.13 - Drinks machine

Hey Arduinousers,

We have an old can machine which uses a NRI G13.6000 (flat cable ribbon serial) as a coin acceptor. Now I need to trick the machines relays board to think that a payment has been made.

The NRI has several output channels, but the one I need (channel 8) sends out a pulse to the board. I need to emulate that Pulse with the push of a button.

This is the description of the output channel of the NRI:

NPN 100ms 10mA active low w/ 47K pull-up to +5V

Is there anyone who knows how to pull this off?

Moderator edit: Smiley removed

Do you want to learn to do it or do you want us to do it?

Well even though it would be easier if someone did it, for me it would be better to learn it.

I've come up with this code:

void setup()

{

pinMode(10, OUTPUT);   // PWM output right

}

void loop()

{

analogWrite(10, 56);  // 56=111Hz ??

}

// 56=111Hz

I don't really understand that.
PWM frequency is around 490Hz.
There's no need to set the pinMode for an analogWrite

Yes and PWN is set between 0 and 255 right?

Zo 111Hz would be 56 value?

No, PWM frequency is fixed, you vary the duty cycle (mark:space ratio) with the parameter to analogWrite

Yep, but haven't I done that by giving analogWrite 56?

You have varied the duty cycle, but the frequency remains the same, namely 490 Hz.

I don't see the significance of this 111Hz from what you've said so far.

Edit.
In case you don't understand the difference, consider a signal with one millisecond high, and nine milliseconds low. The frequency is 100Hz, and the duty cycle is 10%.
A signal with nine milliseconds high and one millisecond low has the same frequency, but a 90% duty cycle.

I've read the output from the coin acceptor.

It's 100Hz normally and when you insert a coin it drops to 90Hz for a few milliseconds.

So I need to emulate this behaviour, from what I've read, PWM output should be the way to go.

What I've done to get the values:

I've used pulseIn to read the pulse the coin acceptor generates:

void setup() {
  // initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(pin, INPUT);
}

void loop()
{
  duration = pulseIn(pin, HIGH);
   Serial.println(duration);
   delay(50);
}

It gives a long list of

And when I enter a euro (coin acceptor) it gives:

No, PWM is not the answer.
The PWM frequency is fixed unless you want to fiddle with registers.
Using micros () may be much simpler.
Have a look at blink without delay.

So, normally I would have an interval of 9 milliseconds and on the push of a button it should need 10 milliseconds?

No, 9 milliseconds would be closer to 111Hz.
11 milliseconds would be roughly to 90Hz.

The relationship is a reciprocal.

My pulseIn program gave the following values:

around 10124 microseconds when euro has been inserted
around 9831 microsecond continuous so constant without euro.

So these are the values I have to use is 9.8 constant and then 10.12 when I insert a coin / push the button?

As a side question, would it be possible to catch this on one pin (using pulsein) and then too just forward it to another pin with pulseout?

It would be nice if you could show us what is actually seen on the output using a scope (draw the o/p seen).

As a side question, would it be possible to catch this on one pin (using pulsein) and then too just forward it to another pin with pulseout?

Have you seen a pulseout (or pulseOut) function?

Unfortunately I don't have access to a scope but I have solved this issue outside the arduino so that I only have to use a relay to achieve what I want to do. Not a real neat way to do it, but it will suffice.

Thanks for all the advice and information given. Maybe in the future when I am more able with arduino's sdk I'll take another attempt at cracking the puzzle.