Gentlemen, I have a challenge. (A/D to Serial Out)

I'm a good builder, but I suck at programming.

Here's the challenge. (I'd even be willing to throw some dubloons at whoever can find me the most complete solution.)

I've so far used such things as SimpleMessageSystem, and some random software that ran encased on the arduino. The challenge here today is to take that up a notch.

I need the Arduino + some hardware (pots, buttons, etc...) to become a hardware controller for a serial device.

Firstly, is that possible?
(if yes)
Secondly, here is the device Birger Engineering, Inc. (it's 900$) :frowning:
(if still interested)
Thirdly, here is the syntax and response that the device uses: Birger Engineering, Inc.

What I would like:
An "OK" led (green)
A "Communicating" LED (orange)
An "Error" LED (red)

A button to go to near focus.
A button to go to infinity focus.
An encoder/pot to control the focus.

A button to open the aperture one stop.
A button to go to wide open aperture (or hold the "open one stop" button for 3-4 seconds or something)

A button to close the aperture.
A button to go to closed aperture (or hold the "close one stop" button for 3-4 seconds)

Thoughts?

hey

if you take it slow it will be easy...

• do the button tutorial; this gets buttons working
  • do the serial tutorial, sending a sting to request the ask to do something simple
  • join the button code to the serial code
  • find the serial code that will recognize responses from the device, if necessary.

Once you have one button sending one control code that does something, everything else will be easy.
If you don't need to read the device's response to commands, this will be especially an easy project.
With serial comms, the best thing to do is to build incrementally- - make sure one thing works, before you add another.
D

hey

if you take it slow it will be easy...

• do the button tutorial; this gets buttons working
  • do the serial tutorial, sending a sting to request the ask to do something simple
  • join the button code to the serial code
  • find the serial code that will recognize responses from the device, if necessary.

Once you have one button sending one control code that does something, everything else will be easy.
If you don't need to read the device's response to commands, this will be especially an easy project.
With serial comms, the best thing to do is to build incrementally- - make sure one thing works, before you add another.
D

True... unfortunately, I do need it to listen for the response, which should read "OK" or "ERR" (whatever). (in which case I want it to light up the Error LED.

Hence why this is above my current level of skill...