Video capture project - rotating camera using stepper motor

Hi guys!

I've been reading a lot and just ordered my arduino uno kit + 5v stepper motor + ULN2003
I have a background in mechanical engineering but not so much in electrical, what I want to accomplish is a mount for a camera that will spin around its axis on different speeds with emphasize on low speeds (such as 180 degrees in 6 hours) and i have a couple of questions:

1. Could anyone hook me up with detailed pictures on how to hook up the setup on a breadboard?

2. Could I use a 12v battery connected to the ULN2003 to power the motor?

3. What I need programming wise is to control the speed which I guess is the delay between each micro step? Could I still capture a fluent video over a long time lapse even though the motion is not continues and stops with a certain delay at each step? I was thinking that I should connect the motor with a timing belt to a larger gear so that I could achieve low speed with smaller delay time to achieve smoothness, what do you guys think?

4. Any code template that fits my description + processing that I can start with and make my own?

5. Perhaps I should take the approach of connecting my dslr camera to the arduino and take a pic every certain amount of time while the motor moves the rotating platform? If so, could you direct me to a similar project which explains the components needed, schemes and stuff to accomplish?

Thank you guys very much !
Great forum ! XD

Sharon

1. Could anyone hook me up with detailed pictures on how to hook up the setup on a breadboard?
    http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/MotorKnob
    Your setup may vary depending on the type of the stepper.

2. Could I use a 12v battery connected to the ULN2003 to power the motor?
    I wouldn't, considering the fact that you said it's 5V rated motor.

3. What I need programming wise is to control the speed which I guess is the delay between each micro step? Could I still capture a fluent video over a long time lapse even though the motion is not continues and stops with a certain delay at each step? I was thinking that I should connect the motor with a timing belt to a larger gear so that I could achieve low speed with smaller delay time to achieve smoothness, what do you guys think?
    A stepper library is a good start. Gear reduction is always good for more precise control. You will lose maximum speed though.

4. Any code template that fits my description + processing that I can start with and make my own?
    See the link above.

5. Perhaps I should take the approach of connecting my dslr camera to the arduino and take a pic every certain amount of time while the motor moves the rotating platform? If so, could you direct me to a similar project which explains the components needed, schemes and stuff to accomplish?
    Depending on your camera one or two optocouplers or reed switches can trigger a DSLR.
    arduino dslr - Google Search

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,89159.30.html
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,85335.45.html

I have done much work with Steppers and Canon and Magic Lantern. It is trivial to trigger the shutter or start video recording. You can use a 12v supply with a 5v motor, in fact it is preferred. So long as you turn off the power between steps to keep it cool. More questions?

Check out my Stepper Library.

So long as you turn off the power between steps to keep it cool.

and that you are not using micro stepping as that gets screwed when you remove the power.

Micro stepping is usually not needed with a 64:1 gear ratio.

Hi sbright33, very interesting work you did there but i'm having a bit of trouble to follow the code + where can i see the schematics of the circuit (preferably a picture of how it actually looks instead of schematics)?

How can I use your work to accomplish my needs of controlling the rotation speed of the motor to spin y degrees in x minutes, cutting off the power between steps to cool down?

Thanks!

I have posted a schematic in another thread where you asked. It's as simple as calling this function in my code. All you have to do is calculate the speed in RPH using y and x. Need help?

void degrpmslowCool(boolean bcw, long deg100, int rph100)