graphical lcd (nokia 3310)

Hi all, I've got this lcd working using schematics and demo code from nuelectronics' Nokia 3310 LCD shield v1.0. Now I have one question and one problem.
The question is that in this thread is duscussed how to properly set i/o signals to 3.3v level. The nuelectronics' schematic does not use any level shifts and there is note on schematic saying "VCC -3.3V - 5V All logic I/O compatible with 5V & 3.3V logic level". I've powered my lcd direct from 5v line from Arduino board and no level shifts on i/o lines. And everything worked. How could you explain this differencies?
Everything worked until I started to move SPI SS signal from default PB2 pin to PD6 pin (as I want to add SD-shield later where SS pin to PB2 is hardwired). The problem that characters are output turned up side down or mirror reflected against vertical axis. I have not figured it out yet which code modification gives either view but it always screwed somehow. I have read many threads like "two SPI devices on a bus" on the forum and tried few suggestions from there without further progress on the output. What may cause such a behaviour of the lcd?
Thanks in advance.