47k Resistor

Hey guys, Im trying to make a "Metalicarap". The instructions confuse me when calling for a 47killiohm resistor, which they also at some point mention is 180 watts and 3 killivolts. The power supply runs on -63kv.

Where can I find a resistor that can do this much power? Ive found 47killiohm resistors, but they dont say they can work with 3 killivolts and 180watts...

Skip to the PCB's

http://reprap.org/wiki/MetalicaRap

Are this a serious question? Do you already have the 63 kV power supply?
Oh, and where does the Arduino fit in?

Sorry, If you need to ask that question when talking about those voltages and power levels then I have only one question.....

What flowers would your WIDOW like at the funeral?

I think we would have to be mad to assist this person to kill them self.

Weedpharma

This is not the forum for such discussions, you should ask over at the RepRap project. This one is above my pay grade.

Hi,
If you are serious about this project, I suggest you get professional advice from parts suppliers and industrial engineers.

As pointed out this is way beyond this forums scope and expertise.

The 180W 47KILO-OHMS at 63Kv will be one very special bit of equipment, let alone the insulation requirements and your machines safety interlocks to keep it all safe.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

I looked at the web site and it is more like an x-ray machine. The people writing it, while acknowledging it will produce x-rays, seem to have little idea about what radiological protection is necessary. They compare it with a CRT TV tube which is not the same thing by a long way.

The instructions confuse me when calling for a 47killiohm resistor, which they also at some point mention is 180 watts and 3 killivolts.

Easy! Probably the easiest part of the project... Put ten 4.7K Ohm/25W resistors in series. Each resistor will see 1/10th of the voltage and dissipate 1/10th of the power.

If I read correctly, they are in the design stage. No breadboard or working prototype yet. And, they expect the 1st unit to cost 1 million Euros, with the cost expected to come down when the system can self-replicate. Yeah, right....

DVDdoug:
No breadboard or working prototype yet.

Don't try and build this on a breadboard - it will vapourise!

Even if you can find the resistor you require at the manufacturer's website , when you check their [distributor's stock](http://www.vishay.com/search?query=GWK300J4702JLX&type=inv&search-inventory-submit.x=0&search-inventory-submit.y=0\) you will find there are only 16 in Europe.