Music Box

This is going to be my first project with arduinos and I was wonder how to get started.

I wanted to make a box that when opened will play a MP3 file on a SD Card over speakers. I was searching around and it looks like Arduino Nano and its MP3 add-on is what I'm looking for. I was curious as to what else I might need. I was thinking battery (What kind of batteries work, if at all, with Arduinos: AA, D?) powered if that's possible. What would be a good speaker for this and should I get an amplifier? What devices could I implement to signal the arduino to play when the box is opened. Is there a starter kit I could maybe look into with a couple wires and other things I might need?

I'm sorry for being noobish or demanding but I'm just starting out and I know absolutely nothing about circuitry, hardware, or electricity. I've always been more of a software guy. So any help is very appreciated. Arduinos seem very interesting and I plan on playing with them a lot. I don't know if my project is something a beginner should be taking on so if there are any projects anyone can recommend for me to get my feet wet with that would be cool too.

What kind of batteries work, if at all, with Arduinos: AA, D?

If you mean to power the Arduino, 9V battery is good.

Why are you starting a project so advanced (in my opinion) and call yourself a beginner at electronics? I have been playing with Arduino for 5 months, and one my most "advanced" projects was a model password door lock! And I still have issues: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,105395.0.html.

Super noob here as well :cold_sweat:

I picked up a parallax propeller quickstart board along with my uno and it's seems to be more geared towards audio stuff. With a program called "12 Blocks" (I have the 30 day free version) I had it playing little tunes within about an hour without any add on stuff. The board costs about $25. It was really easy. You'll need a little amplifier/speaker and a power supply but there are plenty of DIY vids, etc all over the web.

dkl65:
Is it really that advanced? Looking at some similar projects mine seems kind of low end on the difficulty scale. I think all I need is a button switch (I think) that when released (Box Opened) the arduino will then play the mp3 song over speakers. I think that seems really easy with the arduino nano and its mp3 add-on since the add-on has an audio jack already installed so I think all the soldering I would need to do would be the button switch ( Is that a thing? where can I find one?) to the arduino then just program the Arduino nano to play the mp3 file when the button is released.

hoff70:
Are you making your own sounds? Does the uno have mp3 support? I kind of like the whole MiniSD card and mp3 support angle so I could easily change the song if I wanted.

Is it really that advanced? Looking at some similar projects mine seems kind of low end on the difficulty scale.

Depends who you are comparing with. With experts: it is very simple. With me: it is out of my ability. I just use Arduino for fun, because my teacher introduced the Arduino Starter Kit to us. I'm okay at programming. What have you done with Arduino before this? Compared to my classmates and teacher with Arduino, I'm the "expert". :wink:

I'll try to answer you're questions when I have time. I'm very busy right now. :frowning:

I think it plays WAV files. I was really easy to program little note sequences with different delays and sustain values. I had it playing the first notes of "Satisfaction" before moving on to other things 8) The output was enough to drive some earbuds but I made a scratchy sounding transistor amp to play through a little speaker.

I just saw your post and thought I'd chime in.

Here's a PDF tutorial:

dkl65:
Depends who you are comparing with. With experts: it is very simple. With me: it is out of my ability. I just use Arduino for fun, because my teacher introduced the Arduino Starter Kit to us. I'm okay at programming. What have you done with Arduino before this? Compared to my classmates with Arduino, I'm the "expert".

What part of my project would make it that difficult? Is it the programming? I have a little bit of programming knowledge, I dabble in Java a little bit. I haven't really looked into the arduino code library just yet as I haven't even bought my Arduino because I'm still not sure if that is how I want to approach my project. I was also thinking about looking into those musical hallmark card things, but I don't think I could fit my MP3 song on one of those. The circuitry doesn't seem to be too difficult, but I can't speak too much on that as this is my first arduino project and I've never soldered anything, but I'm aware of how it works and it doesn't seem to hard. But like I said so far all I can see is me soldering in the Tactile switch (the button switch) but I'm still trying to figure out what I need in terms of parts, like which tactile switches are compatible with Arduino Nano. I'm also not sure if I will need an amplifier because I'm not sure how loud I will need it to be or how loud it will be without the amp. Like I said I haven't really ordered anything because I don't entirely know what I need and I don't have any supplies already to even play with to see what might work. If there is something else I am missing that's making this difficult please fill me in because I really want this to work. Once it's finished I will post a video of my project and I think it will be pretty cool.

Hoff I think your working more of a making your own tunes angle. More of a Hallmark kind of sound. I already have an MP3 that I want to use with vocals and other instruments. So all I need is a playback feature that will work with MP3s whenever my tactile switch(Button Switch) is released just like the way a refrigerator light turns on only when the door is opened which is achieved by a button being unpressed at least that's how it works in every fridge I've seen.

If you mean to power the Arduino, 9V battery is good.

Only if you're Mr & Mrs Ever-Ready's favourite offspring.

Can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track or is there anything else I might need?

Only if you're Mr & Mrs Ever-Ready's favourite offspring.

Huh?

I don't know if my project is something a beginner should be taking on so if there are any projects anyone can recommend for me to get my feet wet with that would be cool too.

When I first started Arduino, I had some JavaScript experience, no electronics. Most true beginners start with the Blink sketch. I had the starter kit, so I got used to using analog sensors such as LDR, pot, Thermistor, etc. I buy extra parts at Sayal. The second link in my signature is writing some tutorials for my classmates (they still know nothing). Why don't you want to start with the basics?

What part of my project would make it that difficult?

You call yourself a beginner at this topic. Are you actually a true beginner? Yet, once you have an Arduino, you want to make something like this already. I imagine this: an audio shield of some kind with SD card slot, advanced programming to efficiently send all the audio sine waves, construction of the box, placement and soldering! I just do Arduino for fun, so I'll probably never do something like this, spending big bucks!

I think all the soldering I would need to do would be the button switch

If that doesn't work, try a reed switch and a magnet. Careful with the magnet!

I need to do my homework now. :expressionless: I didn't touch Arduino for a week!

@dkl65, Mr and Mrs Ever-Ready's family business

Unless you have deep pockets, 9 volt batteries are a Bad Thingtm

Can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track or is there anything else I might need?

Here is another track for you: Arduino + Adafruit wave shield. Easy to solder and well documented. It will play wav files and not mp3, but I don't think that would make a difference for your purpose.
Regarding batteries, you want to use a source as close as possible to 5V (e.g. 3xAA), without going through the 5V regulator (and wasting some 40% energy in the process).