Your last free sample?

Hint: You can actually get stuff from MAXIM.

You can actually get stuff from MAXIM.

Hmmph. You can actually get SAMPLES from Maxim. That have a somewhat bad reputation for not being able to provide volume quantities in a timely manner (hmm. Rather like Atmel. Only worse.)

(the other thing to watch out for is designing a project around free samples, only to discover that your target market can't support buying the chips at actual list price. I guess that Maxim LED controller is nice, but ... sticker shock!)

Ah... yes, very good points. I agree.

Maxim is not allowing me to request free samples from my yahoo id

Maxim is not allowing me to request free samples from my yahoo id

Indeed.
That's to stop any random person just getting freebies.

You need to have an email at a non-generic domain name.
Then you're more likely to be a business customer who may buy a few thousand in the future.

Mowcius

BUt i dont think companies whixh purchase in thousands need to get free samples :wink: they enough money to buy a few ::slight_smile:

Maxim 4x DS3234S# RTC
Maxim 4x DS1307+ RTC
Maxim 4x MAX7356EUG+ Multiplexer

For some reason I double-ordered, so rather than 2x I got 4x.
I should complain. ;D

Maxim gives their free samples in very nice packaging.
I registered with my school .edu email and honestly told them I was a student and my annual usage was less than 1000.

One day. Ima work for Maxim. :smiley:

BUt i dont think companies whixh purchase in thousands need to get free samples Wink they enough money to buy a few

Well by that logic, none of us would be able to get free samples...

Maxim 4x DS3234S# RTC

What's special about that one then? They do so many RTCs

Mowcius

What's special about that one then? They do so many RTCs

Thats the one sparkfun was selling. Supposedly it is EXTREMELY ACCURATE. And I figured since sparkfun was selling, there would be plenty of libraries and circuit designs out there. I was wrong. Which is why I'm gonna publish one soon.

Well by that logic, none of us would be able to get free samples...

so u'd say they would rip out the fre sample program ?

Thats the one sparkfun was selling. Supposedly it is EXTREMELY ACCURATE. And I figured since sparkfun was selling, there would be plenty of libraries and circuit designs out there. I was wrong. Which is why I'm gonna publish one soon.

Aren't they selling the DS3231? Sounds like they are very similar.
If I were you, I'd go on the hunt for DS3231 code/libraries as they probably work.

so u'd say they would rip out the fre sample program ?

Well if the big companies have enough money to buy the samples, what's the point of having free samples?
I'm just grateful they do this as they must know that hobbyists are getting a load of free samples from them and not buying any after but I suppose it keeps their company up there with the 'nice' ones.

Hmm but i'd be even gratefull of they gave me samples :wink:

Hmm but i'd be even gratefull of they gave me samples

Well get a non-generic email address...

Well if the big companies have enough money to buy the samples, what's the point of having free samples?

Well, for one the hassles of writing an invoice for 25 cent is lot more expensive than just giving them away. In the same vein, if you work in a big company and need to go through purchase to get an order for 25 cent is often impossible. So the cheapest way to handle those samples are to give them away. That hobbyist can take advantage of this is probably unfortunate but not a major concern. Seems that they try to curb the worst excesses by not allowing request from generic mail domains and people ordering too many samples.

Korman

Well get a non-generic email address...

HOW ? well i tried many things online but they dont seeem to have generic Emails :frowning:

Well, for one the hassles of writing an invoice for 25 cent is lot more expensive than just giving them away. In the same vein, if you work in a big company and need to go through purchase to get an order for 25 cent is often impossible. So the cheapest way to handle those samples are to give them away. That hobbyist can take advantage of this is probably unfortunate but not a major concern. Seems that they try to curb the worst excesses by not allowing request from generic mail domains and people ordering too many samples.

Yeah. My local engineering company has given me a few things for free when I have only wanted, say 4 bolts or so. Saves them noting it all down and printing out a massive full page invoice.

HOW ? well i tried many things online but they don't seem to have generic Emails

Well I have a few of my own domain names so I use email addresses from them. Obviously if you don't then it's a bit more tricky.

You can buy yourself a domain name and get email on it for about £20 a year (or less). Then you also have the option of making a website on that domain name in the future if you want your own website.

On another note, I'm not sure if the random domain addresses you can get at mail.com would be classed as generic domains by maxim.

Mowcius

Ill get one infuture :slight_smile: but until then so samples >:( :frowning:

That's to stop any random person just getting freebies.

I think the concern is more about people reselling "free samples" to Nth parties (eg on eBay) than hobbyists. If you get multiple randomish yahoo/hotmail/etc accounts and request maximum quantities at max rates, you can probably make quite a bit of money at it, all very inefficiently from the vendor's perspective.

OTOH, I've thought that farming out sample deployment to some eBay vendor might be an efficient way of running a sample program. Essentially a new "distributor", specializing in very small volume orders. Probably difficult to keep in line, and probably wouldn't make the other hobby distributors very happy...

Essentially a new "distributor", specializing in very small volume orders. Probably difficult to keep in line, and probably wouldn't make the other hobby distributors very happy...

Now that is interesting...
Funny how we all have similar-ish ideas.