Uploading error

I am trying to upload the blink-file to the Arduino board. I started some days before, no result:
I always get:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
The booloader is on the chip, burned myself with another programmer. After resetting, the LED blinks 8 time shortly.I have the board with the SUBD connector (for COM1); nothing helps. I have the original Arduinoboard, on the pc is running Windows XP, I am using Arduino 0010.
Please help!

How fast does the LED blink? Does it blink 8 times and then never blink again?

What command line did you use to burn the bootloader? Did you set the fuses?

What kind of original Arduino board?

Fast, evan faster than every second...After blinking it stops. It starts again if I push the button on board. 8 times blinking and it stopps again. I am using the Arduimo serial v2.0 board with the sub-d connector. I burned the chip separately (on arduino board impossible) with another programmer and the same serial cable.

For the bootloader I just used the hex-file with my programmer (ATmega 8 was burned on this programmer, not on the Arduino-board because impossible) and the PonnyProg software.

I tried with Arduino 009, 0010, 002. The las one shows "Arduino is not responding".

I'm not happy, I tried with two Arduino boards with the same result, if the beginn was so ... :frowning:

If you burned the bootloader yourself, did you make sure you burn the right fuses?

if they are not set correctly the processor would be running at the wrong speed.

Also make sure you select they right type of processor from the tools menu before you compile.

massimo

It is an ATmega 8. Please give me the right fuses for the bootloader. I will try again with ponnyprog

The fuses are in the ARDUINO/hardware/boards.txt file.

Sorry, i did not find it, do you have the link?

I think i destroyed my ATmega playing with these fuses, i don't understand when i open the boodloader hex-file with ponnyprog are the fuse-settings not saved with this file? i am sure it was ok so, it was no error during burning and now works nothing more. It is impossible to write on the chip now.

So, one ATmega for the garbage for the second i will not play with the fuses...If you have another ideea, i am open for everything excepting fuses.

Well, the fuses aren't in the bootloader .hex file. You do, however, need to set the fuses if you don't want the chip uses its internal clock (which on the ATmega8 is 8 MHz, I think, as opposed to the 16 MHz crystal on the board). Otherwise, you'll need to either recompile the bootloader so that it knows what clock speed its running at, or change the baud rate you use when uploading.

I have a problem with these fuses, that is why i don't like the Atmegas so much. I never had such a problem with Pics. The only one thing that would help me, would be a screen-shot with the right fuses from PonyProg, maybe helps...

Which hardware programmer are you using? If it's one that's in the Arduino IDE, I'd try using that instead of PonyProg, since I've tested that it sets the fuses correctly, etc.

Gabriel,

I'm using WinXP, and an Arduino self made serial board (with subd connector) and Atmega8. If not the same you're using, is similar.
I've used the bootloader with parallel programmer http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/ParallelProgrammer.

With this hardware configuration, when you try to bootload with Arduino 0010, there's a bug that makes you wait more than 10 minutes without messages until complete bootload. Perhaps this is happening with you, that's why you're thinking it's impossible to bootload with Arduino IDE.

If you already has installed Giveio (I'm not sure you'll need, but to be faster than messages, if not installed: http://web.mit.edu/6.115/www/miscfiles/giveio.zip)
and installed XP_Stop_Polling http://www.melabs.com/downloads/XP_stop_polling.reg,

If you know DOS, I suggest you try this:
make a parallel programmer cable (it's easy);
open a DOS prompt window;
go to this directory ...\arduino-0010-win\arduino-0010\hardware\tools\avr\bin

execute this (set highlighted to match your correct directory):
avrdude -CC:</mark>arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm8 -cdapa -e -Ulock:w:0xFF:m -Uhfuse:w:0xca:m -Ulfuse:w:0xdf:m -F

and then this:
avrdude -CC:</mark>arduino-0010\hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm8 -cdapa -e -Uflash:w:C:</mark>arduino-0010\hardware\bootloaders\atmega8\ATmegaBOOT.hex:i -Ulock:w:0xCF:m -F

Remove the cable, and press reset. If led on pin13 blinks once and fast, then open Arduino 0010 and try to upload some sketch (blink example, for example).

Or, if you think it's too complicated or not familiarized with DOS, try this:

Download Arduino 0007 http://www.arduino.cc/files/arduino-0007-win.zip
Run Arduino.exe or Run.bat;
Chosse correct IC and board;
Choose Comm Port;
Burn Bootloader with Parallel Port Programmer.

Good luck. And don't give up. You just had a bad day.

The programmer is not in the IDE, it is a dev. tool for 5 kinds of ATmegas, one of them is ATmega 8, so have to use PonnyProg, i burned a few without problems, still did not touch the fuses. I used this without problems in the past, i just need the right fuses. Thanks for help! I tried to revive the dead ATmega 8 and the another dead ATmega 48, i used the extern oscillator way, it did not help...I have a collection of CMOS-oscillators, useless...Thanks for help!

And now to Adilson Akashi, thanks for the help too! I think i need some time to build the parallel programer , i must buy the connector first; what i tried it was another icp programmer where a 244 is built into the sub-d connector, no result.

I took the second (good) ATmega 8 and using these intsructions for a 16 MHz X-tal:

i made a hoes for SUT0 and the rest i letted free. The result:
PonyProg said "write failed", i thought "this is really bad...", BUT it was possible to erase, after erasing i wrote again with all fuse-fields free.
And now the surprise: back to the Arduino the LED blinks only one time! So, i thought i was lucky maybe, but i get the same error now...I become crazy.

Gabriel,
Sorry. I posted all this because I thought it never worked before.