Xbox 360 gun controller

So this is my first project. Though I am not an avid gamer, I do have an xbox360 and enjoy playing FPS games. I recently got an arduino and I'm loving it. I got to thinking that there is no real motion controller for FPS games (that I know of) so I decided to make one.

So what it does:
-Collects IR point locations (up to 4) from the Wii IR camera, calculates the location of said point relative to a zero'd value. Maps this value to a PWM value through a RC filter in order to control the right analog stick - the analog stick on the stock of the airsoft gun overrides the IR camera when the switch below the stock is flipped for menu navigation.
-Wii nunchuck analog stick is used for the right analog stick control similarly to above (RC filter and whatnot)
-AXBY buttons, plus the left trigger, right and left stick click are using two analog pins on the arduino.
-Two buttons from nunchuck are also in use
-Dpad and select/start/xbox button are all hardwired to the controller inside as they rarely are used in FPS games.
-Each button pad on the actual xbox controller within is controlled by the arduino (with the exception of the hardwired buttons and the right trigger)
-Each pressable button/switch is programmed to control any of the players actions.
-Multiple control profiles are able to be selected before startup using the buttons
-There is a program button on the trigger guard which allows you to control when to begin the program, and also to modify the control profile in game.
-Force feedback (rumble motors) are installed still

To use:

1. Turn on (plug it in as of right now)
  2. turn on controller within (middle button on stock-the xbox button)
    3)press the program button to tell the arduino that the controller is linked
  3. select your control profile
    5)Play
    5a)if you want to change the profile mid game hold the program button for 3 seconds, then press AXBY or any of the other buttons which are mapped to a profile in the software
    5b)to reset the IR zero points simply click the program button briefly

I had a lot of fun building this...although there were many obstacles overcome during the process.

If there is people who wants the code and/or schematics, i will provide them via email.
I'm also going to make a little video shortly to show the operation of the controller.

Thanks for looking.

Shawn

That looks great Shawn! I'm curious about a few things. I did similar project back with an mBed in February this year.

Here

^This is a video of the prototype and here is a small album of the final.

Does the Wiimote communicate via Bluetooth with a USB Dongle on the Arduino?

Where is the Xbox 360 Controller board? I didn't quite see it quickly browsing.

Also I'd love to see a video of it in action! My first prototype had the worst/roughest aiming controls, but you can use software to sort it out.

I have an amputation On my right hand, and i have been debating building my own controller, i would really appreciate if you could pass me watever info i need to build such a controller! That sounds awesome!!!

MarineRobotix:
I have an amputation On my right hand, and i have been debating building my own controller, i would really appreciate if you could pass me watever info i need to build such a controller! That sounds awesome!!!

Ben Heck actually did an episode on a one-handed controller for the xbox 360. You can see the build here: benheck.com

nintendo9713:
Does the Wiimote communicate via Bluetooth with a USB Dongle on the Arduino?

Where is the Xbox 360 Controller board? I didn't quite see it quickly browsing.

Also I'd love to see a video of it in action! My first prototype had the worst/roughest aiming controls, but you can use software to sort it out.

Sorry it took so long to get back. This project was sidetracked.

The wiimote is not attached, i pulled the IR camera out and hooked it up through a I2C port.
The controller board is in the airsoft gun case...it was a tight fit.
The aiming controls are rough right now but changing the sensitivity in game has huge effect. A lot of my problem is that the IR camera is mounted inside the project box sitting up top. I think that having it in the box is preventing the full angular view which make the box loose contact. It is coded so that it will just stop moving on screen when this occurs but its a pain.

If i never said this before, the code is essentially computing the center of any IR points, then it calculates deltaX and deltaY from the initial center. a value between 0 and B (PWM value, modify this to permenantly alter sensitivity, see below) based on this distance is then calculated. The Arduino outputs PWM through a RC filter (4 actually 2 for RS 2 for LS). which is what the xbox controller wants at the center pin.
the value B is determined by the voltage wants full right and (not 5V somewhere around 3)

And to the Marine...,

I would love to help. Anything you need let me know. It all depends on what your looking for. That Ben Heck controller is pretty cool, and meaning no disrespect, is simply a new shell (plus moving around some other stuff).

The purpose of this was a kind of proof of concept.

If anyone wants the code/schematics/help email me:

B0arder060@hotmail.com

-This is not my normal email so it may take awhile...I just don't wanna be posting my regular email in the open web

Howdy everyone. First timer here. I'm working on an XBOX 360 case mod that I would like to incorporate some moving parts into (servos connected to Arduino). Basically, I would like the servos to activate whenever the console is turned on and then proceed to move while the XBOX is on. I know that's pretty vague, but I was curious if you guys had tried anything like this before. What would be a good starting point? Is it possible to connect the Arduino to the XBOX? Again, beginner here so excuse any naivety. Thanks in advance.

wii accessories wii accessory wireless xbox 360 controller