RGB SMT LED Cube, resistors, drivers, and shift registers.

I ordered parts monday around noon, and the parts arrived by thursday. It seems they can ship stuff just as quickly, and inexpensively as any ebay provider within the US.

They did kind of use a lot of packaging, but they did use about 1/2 recyclable packing material.

I forgot to calculate the resistors for the 2n2222 transistors. I need 240mA for the transistor cube, The transistors I got seem to be limited to 350ma, that should be enough for my needs. I have been trying to figure out HFE, and what resistors to use with them, to limit the current to safe levels. Nearest i can tell, about 330 seems to be about right, to keep me under 350ma, but enough to drive the transistor well into saturation.

It seems that while reading about mosfets, one of the nice things is that I wont be needing a current limiting resistor, like I would on a BJT, but that I could use a resistor to help reduce the chance of the fet self destructing or going into a feedback loop or something. can anyone explain that ?

The transistor cube is coming along nicely. I have 16 spires built, and I have 20 transistors soldered and circuit wired up for them. im still trying to figure out the best way to assemble the spires onto the PCB. Im thinking that making 4 spires into 1 plane, then fit each plane onto the PCB. I'll get some pics up today.