How does using XBee differ from 315mHz Transmitter & Receiver?

How does using XBee differ from 315mHz Transmitter & Receiver? 8)

encryptor:
How does using XBee differ from 315mHz Transmitter & Receiver? 8)

Power, Speed, Frequency, Distance, Name, Form factor, Directional communication, etc.

Did you have anything specific?

nothing specific, but they both serve the same purpose yes?

encryptor:
nothing specific, but they both serve the same purpose yes?

In the same sense that a train and car serve the same purpose; they both are used to take you from point A to point B.

lol, yes! I just wanted to be clear there. For real I was just wondering the very basic of RF transmit / receive by remote control. I see the XBee has way more ability in wireless technology. :grin:

WiFi works out cheaper than Xbee .

WiFI requires, 1 wireless shield + WiFly module and your PC

Xbee requires 1 wireless shield +Xbee and an XBee and adapter plus your PC.

Mark

Note that the cheaper [under $5] transmitters and receivers are just simple transmitters+receivers,
while XBee, wifi, and BT run sophisticated protocols which are much more reliable.

There are also some lower-freq devices that are complete transceivers [integrated transmitter+ receiver],
and which do run real protocols,

WiFI requires, 1 wireless shield + WiFly module and your PC

The standard XBee shield also mounts WiFly, and well as several other Bees.

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=beefamily

Price is a major factor as well. The above examples refer to using your PC as one end network. In a stuation where you need to devices communicating independent of a PC, two xbee modules plus shields are going to set you back close to $100. If you are willing to put the time and effort into using a cheaper module (since they are often not as plug and play as xbee) then they might be a better fit.

Yes I want to be able to operate LED lights using a homemade remote control! :expressionless: