Go Down

Topic: Vertical Display (Read 219 times) previous topic - next topic

chros2@bigpond.com

Hi, sorry if this sounds simplistic or silly but I am a newbie (and the wrong side of 70) and just starting in this field. I am wondering if the 32 x 16 display panel can programmed to run in the vertical format. For example I would like to have the numeral 8 vertical and blinking. Why? I would like to make a kart racing pit board if possible. Thank you in advance. Chris

aarg

If it's the economy LCD text displays, the answer is no.
  ... with a transistor and a large sum of money to spend ...
Please don't PM me with technical questions. Post them in the forum.

Wawa

I have seen web pages for making custom characters for 2- or 4-line LCD displays.

https://omerk.github.io/lcdchargen/

So I guess it's possible with a lot of coding.
Leo..

Whandall

I have seen web pages for making custom characters for 2- or 4-line LCD displays.
There are (normally) ony 8 definable characters, I don't think that will be enough.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. (D.Adams)

6v6gt

Post a link to the display you have in mind. I guess it must be quite large for this application.

chros2@bigpond.com

Thank you all for the replies. Here is the display I was enquiring about. What would be the maximum number of LEDs in a one numeral display? (How high - wide?)
Cheers

https://www.freetronics.com.au/products/dot-matrix-display-32x16-red#.WSBLa8awfyc

MorganS

That would work. The digits can be as big as you want. You could make one single digit as big as the display.

For a guide on how to magnify existing digits, have a look at the code inside the Adafruit libraries for their LCDs. They have a very simple method of adjusting the text size which could be adapted to this display if it's not already in the freetronics library.
GoForSmoke: "What GShield? You never mentioned a shield."

chros2@bigpond.com

Thank you MorganS. Will keep plugging away. Do you know if anyone has made a pit-board display before?
Cheers

TomGeorge

Hi,
If you look at that page you linked to, there is a lot of documentation listed at the bottom.

Tom.... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Go Up