Newbie Audio Question

Ok, so I have never played with an Arduino before (but im looking for an excuse to :slight_smile: ) so bear with me on this question...

Here is my situation -

I have linux server setup in one room of the house, nice and out of the way. I have Pianobar installed on it to play Pandora. Problem is that my main home theater system is in the living room (where the wife doesnt want the server). Is it possible to setup and arduino to take the audio signal output from the server and send it over the network to another arduino that is hooked up to the receiver?

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Is the audio analogue? If so then no because you need to be able to digitise it faster and to more precision than the arduino can manage. Also network connections require digitised audio to be time stamped and packetised to compensate for the none real time nature of a network. A bit like VoIP.

This doesn't help with your "excuse", but there are "audio over LAN" products such as Squeezebox. Most of these are digital on the server-side.

If you have an unused Ethernet cable in-place already, you can use a pair of [u]baluns[/u] to send audio over the twisted-pairs.

Problem is that my main home theater system is in the living room (where the wife doesnt want the server).

How about an iPod? You can use the analog connection or a dock.

Or, maybe a laptop would be less objectionable. I ended-up with an "extra" laptop, and it's connected to my living-room system. It's also handy if I need to look-up something on the Net. (Unfortunatly, it doesn't have HDMI or a blu-ray player.)