quote button?

the current quote button is so unintuitive that i actually made a new quote button the other night in photoshop! i didn't want to step on any toes or offend the author of the current quote button so i ended up not saving it. :-[
-sj

Replying to a specific post is a little cumbersome. You have to manually copy the text and put it in a

box by hand. Plus, no relationship is stored between posts, so no "thread view" is available, like the one offered e.g. by Thunderbird for mailing lists.

I guess there's no easy way around this unless the forum software is changed (or probably just reconfigured ?).

Anyway my opinion is this is just a minor inconvenience. I for one can live just fine with this "limitation".

I think (or is it hope?) that by being a bit cumbersome we don't have much "excessive quoting".
That is; quote a previous post which had a quote from a previous post that already had a quote. Quote being a complete copy of a former post.

Did that make sens to anyone? :slight_smile:

Jeroen

yea makes since to me, another forum I frequent had the same issue

each and every single reply was a copy of the entire thread quoted from quotes, from quotes

it was obnoxious to read a 4 page thread and at the bottom the new person would type in "yep" then the next post was a 4 page thread + yep + "I disagree"

when they removed that, many of the younger members started SCREAMING, claiming it was 10x harder to hit the reply button than the quote button

I like the quote button, but as long as there are DA's in the world who dont know the difference tween quote and reply, your going to see less and less

and I also hear the "mailing list" argument, but in all honesty, Its usually in vintage computer groups where "Old man grouch" only knows how to use his DEC rainbow for interaction with forums, so I 99% write that claim off

I dont know why I would want to read a post in thunderbird, then goto firefox to respond :wink:

Did that make sens to anyone?

Make quoting hard enough for kiddies to be annoyed (so they don't overdo it) and easy enough for those who really want to quote so they feel it like just a minor inconvenience.

Nice.

I dont know why I would want to read a post in thunderbird, then goto firefox to respond

I didn't mean that. I mentioned thunderbird mailing-list threading as an example of how messages in a forum (or at least their subject lines) could be displayed.

each and every single reply was a copy of the entire thread quoted from quotes, from quotes

well just stop recursion to 1 or 2... i mean no quote in quote allowed :slight_smile:

Yeah, this:

gets annoying

I've seen on a lot of forums that have a direct quote button constructions like this.

Yeah, this:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

gets annoying

I've seen on a lot of forums that have a direct quote button constructions like this.

yea that's the stuff

Nice!

I would like to have a qoute button direct from the post as well.
I don't think it would be a problem with quote in quote, it is just a matter of allowing max 2 quotes in quotes or something like that.

As it is now you don't even have the ability to add the name of whom you are quoting [quote=name][/quote]

Maybe it is time to upgrade the forum? :slight_smile:

exactly, many forum softwares will only autoquote what is outside quote boxes too.

Maybe it is time to upgrade the forum?

It's coming soon :wink:

deff needed

I also vote for a forum upgrade! :slight_smile:

I also vote for a forum upgrade!

Doesn't matter what you vote! :stuck_out_tongue:
Two possible forums are currently being tested.

Mowcius

Oh, that's good news. Thanks.

Two possible forums are currently being tested.

Mowcius

Could you tell us some more :slight_smile:

stock smf and stock phpbb, with no signs of anything being converted over which IMO would be the number 1 thing to look for

SMF can convert from the current system I dont think phpbb can, problem solved (course I am not looking into it and my info may be a bit dated)

quick google and I am right, there is a converter for YABB to SMF but

There is no convertor for YaBB 2.1 to phpBB.

so why is PHPBB an option? really people?

Hmm, interesting.

PHPBB is nicer imo but if I'd stick with this if we can't have data transferred.

Mowcius