Arduino Rover Rocket Launcher

Let me know what you think of this...

Let me know what you think of this...

Sniff. Sniff. Sniff. Hmmm, smells a bit like spam.

Hey PaulS,

Nope not spam, just sharing my awesome project check out the code: http://www.mymindsi.com/code
click "launch control box" or "missile truck".

You might want to use the Exhibitions/Gallery forum - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,29.0.html

That looks great!
Are you using the same kind of digital wireless security camera I am?

What kind of control link?
I'm using 2.4Ghz for my video link and 2.4Ghz XBee's, but I'm going to switch over to a 900Mhz XBee link.
I'm finding the video link is "swamping" the XBee at distance.

Good Day minds-i!

Is it okay if you will give me some info or tutorial on how you make your ignition system for your rover?

thanks,
michael

dxw00d:
You might want to use the Exhibitions/Gallery forum - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,29.0.html

Thanks for you recommendation, I'm new to Arduino and this forum. I'll have to post some more cool stuff there!

cyberteque:
That looks great!
Are you using the same kind of digital wireless security camera I am?
Rover 5 + FPV drive - YouTube

What kind of control link?
I'm using 2.4Ghz for my video link and 2.4Ghz XBee's, but I'm going to switch over to a 900Mhz XBee link.
I'm finding the video link is "swamping" the XBee at distance.

Hey CyberTeque,

Awesome project! I actually only used two Arduino Uno's I didn't need the full capabilities of the Mega. Not for the rocket launcher project anyways...
The camera I used was different than yours. I wouldn't recommend the camera I used it wasn't very good and it didn't have very good range (only a couple hundred feet). The 2.4Ghz xBee's also didn't have that long range either. The camera was 2.4 Ghz.
I used two different controls, we used a standard 2.4 Ghz RC remote to control the chassis and we had a separate launch controller that used a 2.4Ghz xbee, and armed and fired the rockets as well as controlled the pan and tilt.

thanks, let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

michael96_27:
Good Day minds-i!

Is it okay if you will give me some info or tutorial on how you make your ignition system for your rover?

thanks,
michael

Hi Michael,

ummm I might do a tutorial. How about an overview of every that is included in the ignition system?

I'm using 60mW XBee Pro modules, I've gotten nearly 1km!!
For most of the videos I've shot I can't see the rover or I'm inside watching on a 37" TV.

How about an overview of every that is included in the ignition system?

what do you mean?

not much needed to firing a rocket, if you already launch and fly, just add a transistor and a relay on a digital pin.
I would suggest you NOT switch the igniter directly with a transistor though, you can loose a bit of skin if the rocket exhaust shoots across your fingers as you attach your alligator clips.

and yes, that was from personal experience!

and it did hurt...

I would suggest you NOT switch the igniter directly with a transistor though, you can loose a bit of skin if the rocket exhaust shoots across your fingers as you attach your alligator clips.

How does that happen, when the battery is disconnected?
Smoothing caps discharging?

lol!

Umm, no, I think it was base leakage maybe?
I didn't have an arming switch...

I still cringe when I think about what my hand looked like!

You don't learn unless it hurts!

And boy did it hurt!

cyberteque:

and yes, that was from personal experience!

and it did hurt...

Actually that did happen to us the other day, we had fired off a couple of rockets using the control box, but the switch was left on so when the when Mike went to attach the alligator clip, the rocket fired! Luckly no on was hurt or burned. Just the shock of the rocket being fired.

Yep w'ere just using a relay to fire each rocket. We use a digital pin to send a signal to the relay and fire the rocket it pretty safe unless you leave the control box on, armed and ready to fire...

Okay now i get it :slight_smile:

So for this rocket launcher you use relays for ignition.

Now, i want to ask what power supply you use and how do you make your ignitor for your rockets.

Hi

Great project.

I am just starting something similar and will definitely use your website for guidance. Due note also taken about safety when arming rockets from cyberteque.

I am using ROBOT BASIC running on an old DELL inspiron mini web-book. I found it really easy to get ROBOT BASIC (RB) to communicate commands to the arduino and then send-and-recieve commands using RF12 modules from jeelabs. RB makes it really easy to make a GUI on the DELL for the Robot control.

I am using an IP camera with the cams software running on the Dell too via a small portable WiFi router -gaffer-taped to the dell :). That makes the video system self-contained and I don't need to worry about it.

I'm getting ~120m range in line of sight with RF12 control. The IP camera spec says about 100m range is possible @2.4GHz. RF12 @868MHz. Not getting any interference.

I'll post it up when I get a good working version. What do people think of ROBOT BASIC for people starting out in this arena anyway?

cheers

any updates from minds-i? :slight_smile: