GPS Receiver on an Arduino Micro

Aloha Everyone

I am a newbie to arduino and I've been making some headway.

I'm trying to use the Adafruit Ultimate GPS with a Micro and output to a 20x4 LCD. I'm able to get the GPS NMEA data to show up at the serial port, but so far I can't find a sketch to parse it and output it to the LCD. I've had a few odd problems, like my Arduino software doesn't include Adafruit GPS in the "Examples" menu so I can't even really get started.
Also I'm having problems getting any search results on the forum - that's why I'm posting.

I've found a few sketches like tinygps and others, but I can't seem to get them to work. I know the micro uses the leonardo software-serial port so maybe that's the problem.

Please point me towards a sketch or two that might get me going here. Big Thanks![/font]

Have I posted this in the wrong place? Sorta surprised no one has any suggestions.

You can download the Adafruit GPS library here: GitHub - adafruit/Adafruit_GPS: An interrupt-based GPS Arduino library for no-parsing-required use
Then follow the instructions on the Adafruit site.

Thanks jremington!

I have looked through this group of files before and the only sketch I could get to work was the leo-echo (after I used different pins for the micro).

However there must be something I just don't understand because each of the sketches I try to load has a line that reads:

Adafruit_GPS GPS(&Serial1);

that generates an error - I'm not sure how to debug this seemingly fundamental line of code to work. I've even used a sketch I found on youtube from Jay Doscher that's specifically written for the micro but still there's this line of code that keeps the sketch from uploading.

I must be missing something basic here - please pardon my ignorance.

What we are missing is also pretty basic: your code, and the exact error message.

No doubt that would help! :slight_smile:

The code came from here:

the error is:

Arduino: 1.0.6 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Micro"
sketch_oct28a.ino:15:34: error: Adafruit_LEDBackpack.h: No such file or directory
sketch_oct28a:19: error: 'Adafruit_GPS' does not name a type
sketch_oct28a:21: error: 'Adafruit_7segment' does not name a type
sketch_oct28a.ino: In function 'void setup()':
sketch_oct28a:30: error: 'matrix' was not declared in this scope
sketch_oct28a:36: error: 'GPS' was not declared in this scope
sketch_oct28a:38: error: 'PMTK_SET_NMEA_OUTPUT_RMCGGA' was not declared in this scope
sketch_oct28a:44: error: 'PMTK_SET_NMEA_UPDATE_1HZ' was not declared in this scope
sketch_oct28a:49: error: 'PMTK_Q_RELEASE' was not declared in this scope
sketch_oct28a.ino: In function 'void loop()':
sketch_oct28a:55: error: 'GPS' was not declared in this scope
sketch_oct28a:75: error: 'matrix' was not declared in this scope

Perhaps I was being naive but I thought that if I used the exact same components and used a sketch written specifically for them that I wouldn't encounter these errors.

Jay Doscher who did this project and placed it on Youtube was clearly trying to be helpful and make an easy GPS project, so I'm bummed mine isn't working quite so easily..

Any suggestions are appreciated greatly. Mahalo!

Did you download the GPS library and install it correctly? It seems to be still missing. It looks like you may need other libraries as well, as required by this line:
#include "Adafruit_LEDBackpack.h"