Keypad/Servo sketch issues - Updated on reply #8

Programme_Attempt_2:7: error: 'Password' does not name a type
Programme_Attempt_2:25: error: 'Keypad' does not name a type

These are pretty good indicators that the Keypad.h and Password.h files could not be found. Where did you download these libraries to?

HazardsMind:
You want to secure an entry system into a hazardous area with an arduino? Ok. well it looks like your sketch can't find the libraries. Where did you put them, in the Arduino sketch folder, under your documents or in the Arduino 1.0.3 folder?

HazardsMind:
You want to secure an entry system into a hazardous area with an arduino? Ok. well it looks like your sketch can't find the libraries. Where did you put them, in the Arduino sketch folder, under your documents or in the Arduino 1.0.3 folder?

Thanks for the quick response guys.

The libraries are saved;

My Documents > Arduino > Libraries

Libraries directory contains 3 folders titled; Keypad, Password and Servo. All containing .cpp and .h files.

Does it matter where i save my sketch file....? As this is in a different location?

Well try moving them to the other folder. If it doesn't have a libraries folder in it, make one. If it still doesn't work, try the spelling, they might be all lower case letters.

HazardsMind:
Well try moving them to the other folder. If it doesn't have a libraries folder in it, make one. If it still doesn't work, try the spelling, they might be all lower case letters.

Ok, just checked spelling, libraries are in the same format as the sketch.

Also moved the libraries between the Arduino 1.0.3 folder and my Arduino folder in my documents - same errors are apparent unfortunately.

Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions?

Post a screen shot of the library structure. You are restarting the IDE each time, right?

Do you have a link of where you got them?

Hi again guys.

OK.

Embarassingly... the original error which resulted in the keypad/password libraries not being found or working was a schoolboy indexing error which i noticed last night and have now fixed. Thanks again for your time though.

HOWEVER...

Now the servo library wont work!? Or at least the .cpp file. The errors im getting are shown below.

C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In function 'void handle_interrupts(timer16_Sequence_t, volatile uint16_t*, volatile uint16_t*)':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:81: error: 'LOW' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:81: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:88: error: 'HIGH' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:88: error: 'digitalWrite' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:92: error: 'clockCyclesPerMicrosecond' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: At global scope:
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:232: error: 'boolean' does not name a type
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In constructor 'Servo::Servo()':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:249: error: 'clockCyclesPerMicrosecond' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In member function 'uint8_t Servo::attach(int, int, int)':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:263: error: 'OUTPUT' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:263: error: 'pinMode' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:270: error: 'isTimerActive' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In member function 'void Servo::detach()':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:281: error: 'isTimerActive' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In member function 'void Servo::write(int)':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:292: error: 'map' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In member function 'void Servo::writeMicroseconds(int)':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:300: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:300: error: expected `;' before 'channel'
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:301: error: 'channel' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:309: error: 'clockCyclesPerMicrosecond' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In member function 'int Servo::read()':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:320: error: 'map' was not declared in this scope
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp: In member function 'int Servo::readMicroseconds()':
C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp:327: error: 'clockCyclesPerMicrosecond' was not declared in this scope

Again, if anyone has any input it is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Colin.

Why do you have a copy of the Servo library in your sketch folder's libraries directory?

PaulS:
Why do you have a copy of the Servo library in your sketch folder's libraries directory?

I do? Could you elaborate - how to fix/what i've done wrong? Apologies for my ignorance!

I do? Could you elaborate - how to fix/what i've done wrong?

Isn't C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino where you store your sketches?

C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp

This looks like Servo is a library in your libraries folder in the sketch directory. It does not belong here because Servo is a core library.

PaulS:

I do? Could you elaborate - how to fix/what i've done wrong?

Isn't C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino where you store your sketches?

Ah, i see. Yes, this is where my sketches are stored. I've now deleted the servo copy.

C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Servo\Servo.cpp

This looks like Servo is a library in your libraries folder in the sketch directory. It does not belong here because Servo is a core library.

Ok. So... i have re-arranged and and re-imported the servo library from the Arduino 1.0.3 directory however the same errors are apparent.

To clarify -

My sketch is in > C:\Users\Colin\Documents\Arduino
Keypad, Password and Servo libraries are all now in > C:\Users\Colin\Documents\arduino-1.0.3\libraries

Keypad and Password libraries appear to be recognised - Servo is not.

Sorry for the very schoolboy issues - all your time is greatly appreciated!
I

Keypad, Password and Servo libraries are all now in > C:\Users\Colin\Documents\arduino-1.0.3\libraries

That is not where Keypad and Password belong. Those are not core libraries, and do not belong in the core library folder. Servo is and does.

What do your copies of Servo.h and Servo.cpp look like? What does your sketch look like?

When I compile the code in the initial post, I only get this "error" message:

Binary sketch size: 9,350 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)

PaulS:

That is not where Keypad and Password belong. Those are not core libraries, and do not belong in the core library folder. Servo is and does.

What do your copies of Servo.h and Servo.cpp look like? What does your sketch look like?

When I compile the code in the initial post, I only get this "error" message:

Binary sketch size: 9,350 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)

Ok.

Moved the keypad and Password libraries from the core libraries to an appropriate location. Re-checked and they appear to work as normal.

The servo.h and servo.cpp are shown below;

Servo.h looks like;

/*
  Servo.h - Interrupt driven Servo library for Arduino using 16 bit timers- Version 2
  Copyright (c) 2009 Michael Margolis.  All right reserved.

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
  modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
  version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
  Lesser General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
  License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA
*/

/* 

A servo is activated by creating an instance of the Servo class passing the desired pin to the attach() method.
  The servos are pulsed in the background using the value most recently written using the write() method

Note that analogWrite of PWM on pins associated with the timer are disabled when the first servo is attached.
  Timers are seized as needed in groups of 12 servos - 24 servos use two timers, 48 servos will use four.
  The sequence used to sieze timers is defined in timers.h

The methods are:

Servo - Class for manipulating servo motors connected to Arduino pins.

attach(pin )  - Attaches a servo motor to an i/o pin.
   attach(pin, min, max  ) - Attaches to a pin setting min and max values in microseconds
   default min is 544, max is 2400  

write()     - Sets the servo angle in degrees.  (invalid angle that is valid as pulse in microseconds is treated as microseconds)
   writeMicroseconds() - Sets the servo pulse width in microseconds 
   read()      - Gets the last written servo pulse width as an angle between 0 and 180. 
   readMicroseconds()   - Gets the last written servo pulse width in microseconds. (was read_us() in first release)
   attached()  - Returns true if there is a servo attached. 
   detach()    - Stops an attached servos from pulsing its i/o pin. 
 */

#ifndef Servo_h
#define Servo_h

#include <inttypes.h>

/* 
 * Defines for 16 bit timers used with  Servo library 
 * If _useTimerX is defined then TimerX is a 16 bit timer on the curent board
 * timer16_Sequence_t enumerates the sequence that the timers should be allocated
 * _Nbr_16timers indicates how many 16 bit timers are available.
 */

// Say which 16 bit timers can be used and in what order
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega1280__) || defined(__AVR_ATmega2560__)
#define _useTimer5
#define _useTimer1 
#define _useTimer3
#define _useTimer4 
typedef enum { _timer5, _timer1, _timer3, _timer4, _Nbr_16timers } timer16_Sequence_t ;

#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega32U4__)  
#define _useTimer3
#define _useTimer1 
typedef enum { _timer3, _timer1, _Nbr_16timers } timer16_Sequence_t ;

#elif defined(__AVR_AT90USB646__) || defined(__AVR_AT90USB1286__)
#define _useTimer3
#define _useTimer1

#elif defined(__AVR_ATmega128__) ||defined(__AVR_ATmega1281__)||defined(__AVR_ATmega2561__)
#define _useTimer3
#define _useTimer1

#else  // everything else
#define _useTimer1
typedef enum { _timer1, _Nbr_16timers } timer16_Sequence_t ;                  
#endif

#define Servo_VERSION           2      // software version of this library

#define MIN_PULSE_WIDTH       544     // the shortest pulse sent to a servo  
#define MAX_PULSE_WIDTH      2400     // the longest pulse sent to a servo 
#define DEFAULT_PULSE_WIDTH  1500     // default pulse width when servo is attached
#define REFRESH_INTERVAL    20000     // minumim time to refresh servos in microseconds 

#define SERVOS_PER_TIMER       12     // the maximum number of servos controlled by one timer 
#define MAX_SERVOS   (_Nbr_16timers  * SERVOS_PER_TIMER)

#define INVALID_SERVO         255     // flag indicating an invalid servo index

typedef struct  {
  uint8_t nbr        :6 ;             // a pin number from 0 to 63
  uint8_t isActive   :1 ;             // true if this channel is enabled, pin not pulsed if false 
} ServoPin_t   ;  

typedef struct {
  ServoPin_t Pin;
  unsigned int ticks;
} servo_t;

class Servo
{
public:
  Servo();
  uint8_t attach(int pin);           // attach the given pin to the next free channel, sets pinMode, returns channel number or 0 if failure
  uint8_t attach(int pin, int min, int max); // as above but also sets min and max values for writes. 
  void detach();
  void write(int value);             // if value is < 200 its treated as an angle, otherwise as pulse width in microseconds 
  void writeMicroseconds(int value); // Write pulse width in microseconds 
  int read();                        // returns current pulse width as an angle between 0 and 180 degrees
  int readMicroseconds();            // returns current pulse width in microseconds for this servo (was read_us() in first release)
  bool attached();                   // return true if this servo is attached, otherwise false 
private:
   uint8_t servoIndex;               // index into the channel data for this servo
   int8_t min;                       // minimum is this value times 4 added to MIN_PULSE_WIDTH    
   int8_t max;                       // maximum is this value times 4 added to MAX_PULSE_WIDTH   
};

#endif

Continued below;

/*
 Servo.cpp - Interrupt driven Servo library for Arduino using 16 bit timers- Version 2
 Copyright (c) 2009 Michael Margolis.  All right reserved.
 */
/* 
 Servo - Class for manipulating servo motors connected to Arduino pins.

attach(pin )  - Attaches a servo motor to an i/o pin.
 attach(pin, min, max  ) - Attaches to a pin setting min and max values in microseconds
 default min is 544, max is 2400  

write()     - Sets the servo angle in degrees.  (invalid angle that is valid as pulse in microseconds is treated as microseconds)
 writeMicroseconds() - Sets the servo pulse width in microseconds 
 read()      - Gets the last written servo pulse width as an angle between 0 and 180. 
 readMicroseconds()   - Gets the last written servo pulse width in microseconds. (was read_us() in first release)
 attached()  - Returns true if there is a servo attached. 
 detach()    - Stops an attached servos from pulsing its i/o pin. 

*/

#include <avr/interrupt.h>
#include <WProgram.h> 

#include "Servo.h"

#define usToTicks(_us)    (( clockCyclesPerMicrosecond()* _us) / 8)     // converts microseconds to tick (assumes prescale of 8)  // 12 Aug 2009
#define ticksToUs(_ticks) (( (unsigned)_ticks * 8)/ clockCyclesPerMicrosecond() ) // converts from ticks back to microseconds

#define TRIM_DURATION       2                               // compensation ticks to trim adjust for digitalWrite delays // 12 August 2009

//#define NBR_TIMERS        (MAX_SERVOS / SERVOS_PER_TIMER)

static servo_t servos[MAX_SERVOS];                          // static array of servo structures
static volatile int8_t Channel[_Nbr_16timers ];             // counter for the servo being pulsed for each timer (or -1 if refresh interval)

uint8_t ServoCount = 0;                                     // the total number of attached servos

// convenience macros
#define SERVO_INDEX_TO_TIMER(_servo_nbr) ((timer16_Sequence_t)(_servo_nbr / SERVOS_PER_TIMER)) // returns the timer controlling this servo
#define SERVO_INDEX_TO_CHANNEL(_servo_nbr) (_servo_nbr % SERVOS_PER_TIMER)       // returns the index of the servo on this timer
#define SERVO_INDEX(_timer,_channel)  ((_timer*SERVOS_PER_TIMER) + _channel)     // macro to access servo index by timer and channel
#define SERVO(_timer,_channel)  (servos[SERVO_INDEX(_timer,_channel)])            // macro to access servo class by timer and channel

#define SERVO_MIN() (MIN_PULSE_WIDTH - this->min * 4)  // minimum value in uS for this servo
#define SERVO_MAX() (MAX_PULSE_WIDTH - this->max * 4)  // maximum value in uS for this servo 

/************ static functions common to all instances ***********************/

static inline void handle_interrupts(timer16_Sequence_t timer, volatile uint16_t *TCNTn, volatile uint16_t* OCRnA)
{
  if( Channel[timer] < 0 )
    *TCNTn = 0; // channel set to -1 indicated that refresh interval completed so reset the timer 
  else{
    if( SERVO_INDEX(timer,Channel[timer]) < ServoCount && SERVO(timer,Channel[timer]).Pin.isActive == true )  
      digitalWrite( SERVO(timer,Channel[timer]).Pin.nbr,LOW); // pulse this channel low if activated   
  }

Channel[timer]++;    // increment to the next channel
  if( SERVO_INDEX(timer,Channel[timer]) < ServoCount && Channel[timer] < SERVOS_PER_TIMER) {
    *OCRnA = *TCNTn + SERVO(timer,Channel[timer]).ticks;
    if(SERVO(timer,Channel[timer]).Pin.isActive == true)     // check if activated
      digitalWrite( SERVO(timer,Channel[timer]).Pin.nbr,HIGH); // its an active channel so pulse it high   
  }  
  else { 
    // finished all channels so wait for the refresh period to expire before starting over 
    if( (unsigned)*TCNTn <  (usToTicks(REFRESH_INTERVAL) + 4) )  // allow a few ticks to ensure the next OCR1A not missed
      *OCRnA = (unsigned int)usToTicks(REFRESH_INTERVAL);  
    else 
      *OCRnA = *TCNTn + 4;  // at least REFRESH_INTERVAL has elapsed
    Channel[timer] = -1; // this will get incremented at the end of the refresh period to start again at the first channel
  }
}

#ifndef WIRING // Wiring pre-defines signal handlers so don't define any if compiling for the Wiring platform
// Interrupt handlers for Arduino 
#if defined(_useTimer1)
SIGNAL (TIMER1_COMPA_vect) 
{ 
  handle_interrupts(_timer1, &TCNT1, &OCR1A); 
}
#endif

#if defined(_useTimer3)
SIGNAL (TIMER3_COMPA_vect) 
{ 
  handle_interrupts(_timer3, &TCNT3, &OCR3A); 
}
#endif

#if defined(_useTimer4)
SIGNAL (TIMER4_COMPA_vect) 
{
  handle_interrupts(_timer4, &TCNT4, &OCR4A); 
}
#endif

#if defined(_useTimer5)
SIGNAL (TIMER5_COMPA_vect) 
{
  handle_interrupts(_timer5, &TCNT5, &OCR5A); 
}
#endif

#elif defined WIRING
// Interrupt handlers for Wiring 
#if defined(_useTimer1)
void Timer1Service() 
{ 
  handle_interrupts(_timer1, &TCNT1, &OCR1A); 
}
#endif
#if defined(_useTimer3)
void Timer3Service() 
{ 
  handle_interrupts(_timer3, &TCNT3, &OCR3A); 
}
#endif
#endif

static void initISR(timer16_Sequence_t timer)
{  
#if defined (_useTimer1)
  if(timer == _timer1) {
    TCCR1A = 0;             // normal counting mode 
    TCCR1B = _BV(CS11);     // set prescaler of 8 
    TCNT1 = 0;              // clear the timer count 
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega8__)|| defined(__AVR_ATmega128__)
    TIFR |= _BV(OCF1A);      // clear any pending interrupts; 
    TIMSK |=  _BV(OCIE1A) ;  // enable the output compare interrupt  
#else
    // here if not ATmega8 or ATmega128
    TIFR1 |= _BV(OCF1A);     // clear any pending interrupts; 
    TIMSK1 |=  _BV(OCIE1A) ; // enable the output compare interrupt 
#endif    
#if defined(WIRING)       
    timerAttach(TIMER1OUTCOMPAREA_INT, Timer1Service); 
#endif	
  } 
#endif  

#if defined (_useTimer3)
  if(timer == _timer3) {
    TCCR3A = 0;             // normal counting mode 
    TCCR3B = _BV(CS31);     // set prescaler of 8  
    TCNT3 = 0;              // clear the timer count 
#if defined(__AVR_ATmega128__)
    TIFR |= _BV(OCF3A);     // clear any pending interrupts;   
	ETIMSK |= _BV(OCIE3A);  // enable the output compare interrupt     
#else  
    TIFR3 = _BV(OCF3A);     // clear any pending interrupts; 
    TIMSK3 =  _BV(OCIE3A) ; // enable the output compare interrupt      
#endif
#if defined(WIRING)    
    timerAttach(TIMER3OUTCOMPAREA_INT, Timer3Service);  // for Wiring platform only	
#endif  
  }
#endif

#if defined (_useTimer4)
  if(timer == _timer4) {
    TCCR4A = 0;             // normal counting mode 
    TCCR4B = _BV(CS41);     // set prescaler of 8  
    TCNT4 = 0;              // clear the timer count 
    TIFR4 = _BV(OCF4A);     // clear any pending interrupts; 
    TIMSK4 =  _BV(OCIE4A) ; // enable the output compare interrupt
  }    
#endif

The rest, servo.cpp alone is still more than 9500 characters

#if defined (_useTimer5)
  if(timer == _timer5) {
    TCCR5A = 0;             // normal counting mode 
    TCCR5B = _BV(CS51);     // set prescaler of 8  
    TCNT5 = 0;              // clear the timer count 
    TIFR5 = _BV(OCF5A);     // clear any pending interrupts; 
    TIMSK5 =  _BV(OCIE5A) ; // enable the output compare interrupt      
  }
#endif
} 

static void finISR(timer16_Sequence_t timer)
{
    //disable use of the given timer
#if defined WIRING   // Wiring
  if(timer == _timer1) {
    #if defined(__AVR_ATmega1281__)||defined(__AVR_ATmega2561__)
    TIMSK1 &=  ~_BV(OCIE1A) ;  // disable timer 1 output compare interrupt
    #else 
    TIMSK &=  ~_BV(OCIE1A) ;  // disable timer 1 output compare interrupt   
    #endif
    timerDetach(TIMER1OUTCOMPAREA_INT); 
  }
  else if(timer == _timer3) {     
    #if defined(__AVR_ATmega1281__)||defined(__AVR_ATmega2561__)
    TIMSK3 &= ~_BV(OCIE3A);    // disable the timer3 output compare A interrupt
    #else
    ETIMSK &= ~_BV(OCIE3A);    // disable the timer3 output compare A interrupt
    #endif
    timerDetach(TIMER3OUTCOMPAREA_INT);
  }
#else
    //For arduino - in future: call here to a currently undefined function to reset the timer
#endif
}

static boolean isTimerActive(timer16_Sequence_t timer)
{
  // returns true if any servo is active on this timer
  for(uint8_t channel=0; channel < SERVOS_PER_TIMER; channel++) {
    if(SERVO(timer,channel).Pin.isActive == true)
      return true;
  }
  return false;
}

/****************** end of static functions ******************************/

Servo::Servo()
{
  if( ServoCount < MAX_SERVOS) {
    this->servoIndex = ServoCount++;                    // assign a servo index to this instance
	servos[this->servoIndex].ticks = usToTicks(DEFAULT_PULSE_WIDTH);   // store default values  - 12 Aug 2009
  }
  else
    this->servoIndex = INVALID_SERVO ;  // too many servos 
}

uint8_t Servo::attach(int pin)
{
  return this->attach(pin, MIN_PULSE_WIDTH, MAX_PULSE_WIDTH);
}

uint8_t Servo::attach(int pin, int min, int max)
{
  if(this->servoIndex < MAX_SERVOS ) {
    pinMode( pin, OUTPUT) ;                                   // set servo pin to output
    servos[this->servoIndex].Pin.nbr = pin;  
    // todo min/max check: abs(min - MIN_PULSE_WIDTH) /4 < 128 
    this->min  = (MIN_PULSE_WIDTH - min)/4; //resolution of min/max is 4 uS
    this->max  = (MAX_PULSE_WIDTH - max)/4; 
    // initialize the timer if it has not already been initialized 
    timer16_Sequence_t timer = SERVO_INDEX_TO_TIMER(servoIndex);
    if(isTimerActive(timer) == false)
      initISR(timer);    
    servos[this->servoIndex].Pin.isActive = true;  // this must be set after the check for isTimerActive
  } 
  return this->servoIndex ;
}

void Servo::detach()  
{
  servos[this->servoIndex].Pin.isActive = false;  
  timer16_Sequence_t timer = SERVO_INDEX_TO_TIMER(servoIndex);
  if(isTimerActive(timer) == false) {
    finISR(timer);
  }
}

void Servo::write(int value)
{  
  if(value < MIN_PULSE_WIDTH)
  {  // treat values less than 544 as angles in degrees (valid values in microseconds are handled as microseconds)
    if(value < 0) value = 0;
    if(value > 180) value = 180;
    value = map(value, 0, 180, SERVO_MIN(),  SERVO_MAX());      
  }
  this->writeMicroseconds(value);
}

void Servo::writeMicroseconds(int value)
{
  // calculate and store the values for the given channel
  byte channel = this->servoIndex;
  if( (channel >= 0) && (channel < MAX_SERVOS) )   // ensure channel is valid
  {  
    if( value < SERVO_MIN() )          // ensure pulse width is valid
      value = SERVO_MIN();
    else if( value > SERVO_MAX() )
      value = SERVO_MAX();   

value = value - TRIM_DURATION;
    value = usToTicks(value);  // convert to ticks after compensating for interrupt overhead - 12 Aug 2009

uint8_t oldSREG = SREG;
    cli();
    servos[channel].ticks = value;  
    SREG = oldSREG;   
  } 
}

int Servo::read() // return the value as degrees
{
  return  map( this->readMicroseconds()+1, SERVO_MIN(), SERVO_MAX(), 0, 180);     
}

int Servo::readMicroseconds()
{
  unsigned int pulsewidth;
  if( this->servoIndex != INVALID_SERVO )
    pulsewidth = ticksToUs(servos[this->servoIndex].ticks)  + TRIM_DURATION ;   // 12 aug 2009
  else 
    pulsewidth  = 0;

return pulsewidth;   
}

bool Servo::attached()
{
  return servos[this->servoIndex].Pin.isActive ;
}

PaulS - you're help is greatly appreciated, genuinely.

My version of Servo.cpp, in the 1.0.3 libraries folder contains:

#include <avr/interrupt.h>
#include <Arduino.h> 

#include "Servo.h"

You need to uninstall your version of the IDE and reinstall, to get the correct 1,0+ version of the Servo library.

PaulS, you are the man.

Uninstalled and re-installed and it verifies perfectly - It's my birthday today too and this is probably the best present!

Binary sketch size: 6,088 bytes (of a 32,256 byte maximum)

Thanks again, your time taken to look over all this has been much appreciated, i owe you one!

Now just to get the physical circuit working...

On the subject of which, are the components you plan to use, eg the Arduino and the servo, safe for use (either intrinsically or by flash-proofing) in hazardous areas? Or will they be outside the hazardous area?

JimboZA:

On the subject of which, are the components you plan to use, eg the Arduino and the servo, safe for use (either intrinsically or by flash-proofing) in hazardous areas? Or will they be outside the hazardous area?

Sorry for the delay.

As per any hazardous area installation, as many of the components and circuitry as possible will be installed in an adjacent safe area. So the Arduino itself will be outside and a zener barrier will be utilised along with appropriate cable and glands. Inside will be an oxygen meter and ventilation fan - these won't be in this model though, unless i find the time and motivation (and knowledge) to include them!