I think I give up :)

I like designing hardware and there was a time when it seemed worthwhile spending a few months on a widget design.

These days things are coming out so fast and so powerful I wonder if it's worth the effort.

I just found this

https://www.miniand.com/products/MK802%20Android%20Mini%20PC

Android, 1.0GHz Cortex-A8, HDMI etc etc etc on what is effectively a large thumb drive.

Plus it seems that there's a new ARM board being released every few hours with similar features.

Before long the DS1820 temp sensor will be running Linux.

I think it's time to give up and maybe just write software.

Rob

Wow!

I guess it is raining in Bundaberg. Most of the people on this site are making things that they could probably buy. The commercial products probably work better and cost less ( just joking ), but where is the fun and satisfaction?

Pretty cool!

After the fact, it is kind of obvious... take an Android phone, remove the screen, battery, battery charging circuits, speakers, and button areas....and this is what you have left behind. Probably a bit slow but, they are on the right track for sure!

I dont understand half the spec, or I might give up too.

Luckily my niche ( LED scoreboards ) have to be read from 150m away, so hopefully they dont bring out a giant 4 sq m version :slight_smile:

I think you'll be OK there Boffin, I don't think I'd like to be about to release a high-spec ARM board though.

Here's hoping the mythical alleged soon-to-be-released Due doesn't run Unix :slight_smile:

I guess it is raining in Bundaberg.

Not AFAIK, mind you we're 65k away.

Rob

Hi Mr. Rob and other's,

I saw a very similar or almost identical device 1-2 months ago and wasn't astonished as these folks especially Chinese are so much into all this that they are onto making some weird and sometimes not even needful gadgets and the similar Factories in Guandong copy the stuff from the fellow guandong factory that made originally some already weird stuff so this actually results in Multiplication of Weird stuff and when its made cheap down to where we don't bother spending couple of pennies it's sold and that's how this vicious circle carries ON! :grin:

NI$HANT:
... the similar Factories in Guandong copy the stuff from the fellow guandong factory ...

A very interesting read on Chinese business practices, etc. Good price, too. It's a few years old now so must be on the sale table:

Graynomad:
Here's hoping the mythical alleged soon-to-be-released Due

There was a video of a sasquatch being served at the checkout of Fry's in Sunnyvale by Elvis up on youtube last week.

It was pretty convincing, and initially had a lot of people fooled, but it was confirmed as a hoax on snopes when frame enhancement revealed the sasquatch was supposedly buying an Arduino Due.

:slight_smile:

That was a stuff up by the film makers, bad attention to detail.

Rob

Speaking of filmmakers (nice segue) here's a tour of the factory making these devices. Stumbled across it when I was digging up info on its capabilities.

Truly amazing the level of ... automation. :wink:

much to learn from the Asians...

What's the matter? You can't find people willing to work for $5/day in your neck of the woods?

I saw a comment, by a Chinese company I think, that said the very best, and the very worst products are made in China.

The trick is finding the right manufacturer !

Where possible I use local manufacturers ( South Africa in my case ) for assembly, engineered parts and pcbs, but the LEDs for example all come from China now, whoever I buy them from, and they are ten times cheaper when I import them.

Luckily I have found a good supplier ( so far, so good ) although the latest batch have the short lead, and the flat on the body, denoting the anode !

When asked about it, the supplier wrote, " we call them the reverse polarity type " with no further explanation ??

Boffin1:
When asked about it, the supplier wrote, " we call them the reverse polarity type " with no further explanation ??

rofl I must admit, they do have a sense of humor. I guess you couldn't laugh with it.
Did you order reverse polarity leds, or did they take the liberty of providing you better quality than paid for? 8)
Best regards
Jantje

They didn't mention it when they sent the sample with the last batch of " correct polarity :slight_smile: " ones.

It was only when I wanted to see how bright they are that I found they were marked wrong , and asked them if it was an error.

Hmm, I think I will drive on the other side of the road next week... :slight_smile:

I -just- got 100 18mm piezos from China for $10.40. Haven't tested any but expect they will work, now I have a whole lot of 'buttons' that can take a real smacking.

China subsidizes their tech. But it's looking like they might have to start treating their people better, perhaps almost decently, and then prices will go up.
China also allows some really insane pollution that's going to haunt them badly in future. But that's in future while the name of the game now is exploit, move, repeat.

and they are ten times cheaper when I import them.

Guess those go together.
"The factory put these LEDs on the substrate backwards"
"Don't worry, we'll call the 'reverse polarity' and sell them at a discount"

treating their people better, perhaps almost decently, and then prices will go up.

At which time the whole circus will move to another country and we'll exploit them.

Japan, Tawian, Korea, China, ??

Remember what it used to be "Jap crap", now it's "Japanese quality".

Rob

I just wonder when Europe/America will be the cheap labor place where people do not get treated decently.