GLCD Font Generator

A friend wanted some more fixed-width GLCD fonts and couldn't find any he liked so I scripted a quick font generator. I web-based it and have put it at http://www.microintegrate.com/?/fontgen

Currently generates font files compatible with GLCDv3. Will do more in the future. Hopefully it helps somebody.

I like it.
Yes the font generation tools are pretty much non existent for fixed with fonts.
I've thought of going in and updating FontCreator2 to be able to generate fixed width fonts
as well.
Part of the problem is I really don't like the font data format used in the glcd library.
I'd love to obliterate it and replace it with something else (maybe bdf) as there is some real
nastiness in the variable width format that makes the rendering code ugly and slower than
it could be. Just haven't gotten around to it as its a fairly large task.

I did run into an issue with the tool. It looks like a permission issue on one of the directories
on the server. This output is in the generated header file:
Warning: imagejpeg() [function.imagejpeg]: Unable to open 'tmp/test.jpeg' for writing: Permission denied in /var/www/microintegrate.com/inc/glcdgen.php.inc on line 46

I do have have some big updates for the library that I haven't released including
the ability to disable font pixel padding that is quite useful for fonts like cp437 that
might be useful for your tool. PM me for details.

--- bill

Thanks, I've fixed that error - was a left-over debugging line, the dirs on the production server are not writable.

I'm thinking that I'll initially fix this tool of mine up, but eventually a tool somewhat similar to FontCreator2 would be nice but web-based (java applet).

Please do keep me updated on the status of the font format used. I know nothing of BDF, fonts are not an area I have a particular interest in. Perhaps if I figure the BDF format out I can help with the resulting rendering code.

A bunch of new features added to assist including trimming whitespace and for generation of variable font sizes. Bug fixes or simple things aside I think the feature set will remain as is for a while so I can work on another project unless there is significant demand for other capabilities.

phreeky:
A friend wanted some more fixed-width GLCD fonts and couldn't find any he liked so I scripted a quick font generator. I web-based it and have put it at http://www.microintegrate.com/?/fontgen

Currently generates font files compatible with GLCDv3. Will do more in the future. Hopefully it helps somebody.

Thanks for the useful link!