That's Alcohol!

Video

Technical details
“That's Alcohol” installation is a prototype for innovative ethylometers to be proposed to italian police in order to prevent drunk-driving. The system is based on a TGS-822 Alcohol Sensor (made by Figaro) that detects the alcoholometric level into the user breathe. The data are collected in real-time by an Arduino board that drives analogically a 24.7 Kg-force servo-motor (Hitec HS 805 BB+) depending on the drunkness-level result achieved. Finally, the servo-motor is connected to a plastic table that pushes through some pistons the string-puppets to let them leaning more or less.
For a stronger feedback, Arduino board dialogues through serproxy with a Flash-based animation that displays step-by-step the results and some suggestions on how to reach a better drunkness-level.

More info
Made by David Boardman, Roberto Pansolli, Pete Knocke (Domus Academy Milan + Interaction Design Institute Ivrea)

Prototype video
- YouTube

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

looking great!

I am looking at using the same sensor for triggering some el-wires

was it complicated to get the sensor calibrated, anything I should be aware of?

Would you mind sharing your script?

Thank you

fubbi

It's this one the same sensor used by italian police? As I am italian I could install one in my car where I already have an arduino to be aware of the consequences of my night parties... F

As I am italian I could install one in my car where I already have an arduino to be aware of the consequences of my night parties... F

The problem with installing it yourself is that you know how to uninstall it if you want to drive anyways ;D!

Hi guys, thanks for your comments.

@fubby: unfortunately that script is somewhere lost on an old computer - the project is dated 2007. However, I recall that the code was nothing really complicated.

For the project we used a Figaro sensor that was extremely sensible and accurate. For That's Alcohol project we didn't need to have a precise calibration - the interaction design of the project didn't require it. Anyhow, you can find on the Web different explanations regarding how to calibrate an alcohol sensor. Basically, you just need a glass, water and pure alcohol and some patience. Have fun!

@federico: Of course it is :slight_smile:

@all: meanwhile - the project page has moved on another website. Please find it here http://www.tinktank.it/portfolio/contents/exhibition/thats-alcohol/

Wow, really cool project. Showed it to my wife and even she liked it :wink: (I am usually a bit more appreciative of interactive installations ;)).

Hi

yes the script was really simple. However, the pins on the 822 are confusing. I found tutorials for the similar MQ-3 but I have difficulties translating those to the 822.

Do you remember the pin order by any chance?

thanks

@Meinaart: thanks to you and your wife.

@fubbi: yes, I remember the sensor pins handling was quite a pain in the a**. Remember to insulate each pin connection to avoid surprises.

You may want to have a look to the TGS822 datasheet www.figarosensor.com/products/822pdf.pdf

The part you are probably more interested at this point is the "Basic Measuring Circuit" (page 2).

Good luck.

I got it hooked up and it reading fine. How hot did yours get? Mine is pretty hot, a little scary...

using a 1k resistor

fubbi

The sensor runs optimally at a certain temperature. In fact, it needs a Vh (heating) to work properly. I remember it was heating up quite a lot in the installation. However, the sensor stayed for 3 days in an warm environment with a poor air flow - and nothing really happened, besides some unexpected values that sometimes popped out (abnormal high or low values). Here some programming effort would help you to normalize the received data.