Go Down

Topic: Heating issue (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Wawa

so?
Minimise heat by replacing the 8.5volt charger with a 5volt phone charger.
It still will get warm, but that's normal.
Leo..

komarek

so it's sure there s no funky contact on solderings causing that issue

Wawa

Probably not, but you didn't say exactly how hot the regulator was.

With an 8.5volt supply, and 100mA draw, the regulator could easilly get 50C above ambient.
A 5volt supply could reduce that to about 30C above ambient.
Leo..

komarek

ok i will try and let you know. thanks

ElCaron

Oooooooh, 8.5V Sure, that will get hot. I calculated with 5V. Then definitely have a look at the board I suggested above. The Gerbers are in the Github repository. Seeedstudio just reduced prices to 5$ for 10 10x10cm^2 boards, so with shipping, you are at 15$ for 20 boards (2 per PCB). You'll hardly get good perfboards for that price.

komarek

ok so this is the new:

i found a new digital tester and i took the following measures to the VIN-GND pins of the device:

1. the Charger that used to give me 8.4V now gives me 7.2V when the device is turned off and 6.2V when the device is turned on.

2. i tried to power the device with a iphone usb charger but through the VIN-GND pins and the multimeter measure 5.0V but the device doesnt even turn on

3. i have found another charger that output 6.9V but when i try to connect it to the device... the device just turn on for a millisecond and flash the blue led, then it turns off.

what you think?

komarek

i also tried with a 4batteries pack....it outputs 5.2V but when i connect it to the device it doesn't even turn ON

Wawa

Stupid question:
What happens if you power it as intended. Through the USB port, with a computer.
Leo..

komarek

Stupid question:
What happens if you power it as intended. Through the USB port, with a computer.
Leo..
i wrote it in a former post
the device turn on and works regularly
but it's heating anyway... not that much but heating

Wawa

Ofcourse it's heating up.
I already tried to explain why and how much.

If it works on a PC, then get a regulated 5volt phone charger with micro-USB cable/plug.
Then you can just plug it into the USB socket.

It seems your 8.5volt supply is not regulated.
Bad idea to use an unregulated supply for electronics.
Leo..

komarek

May 05, 2017, 02:58 pm Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:07 pm by komarek
Ofcourse it's heating up.
I already tried to explain why and how much.
yes but
i think it is still heating too much
compared for example to my other esp8266 devices, it's what i m trying to explain.
unfortunately i dont have a heating sensor to take the measure.

If it works on a PC, then get a regulated 5volt phone charger with micro-USB cable/plug.
Then you can just plug it into the USB socket.
well... this will make the switch useless and i hope it's not heating too much anyway. Maybe i should make a try for 1 hour test

ElCaron

Maybe you should finally measure the current. For the full project, only the MCU, and if that differs considerably, for each step while plugging stuff in.

Wawa

i think it is still heating too much compared for example to my other esp8266 devices, it's what i m trying to explain.
Are you running this ESP in AP mode (~80mA) and the others in ST mode (~20mA)?
Current draw in station mode also depends on router settings.
Leo..

komarek

do you mean in Access Point mode?
well.. i guess not
it depends on the sketch?
btw on the sketch it just connects to my router and wait for MQTT commands

komarek

by the way, sorry for the OT. i have another device esp8266
and i just realized it creates a network called "testAP"
so i guess in facts is an Access Point hidden.
this thing is not on the sketch. how is it possible? and, how is it possible to turn this thing off? it's making interference with my Main router wifi network

Go Up