Yet another small size Arduino clone with XBee

Hi,

I'm working on a yet another ATMEGA168V based small size Arduino clone with XBee. As described in the images, it's based on Lilypad. :wink:

Imgur
Imgur

Current plan for the next step is as follows:

• an optional on-board DC/DC converter (AS1322B)
  • a push button for D12

I'm sorry for trouble you, but it would be much appreciated if you give me comments and/or suggestions about this issue.

Best,
Shigeru

Hi,

I just updated as follows:

• added a 8MHz CELALOCK
  • added pins for D12 and D13
  • added a DC/DC converter

It would be much appreciated if you give me suggestions and/or comments.

Thanks,
Shigeru

That's great!
It is seem no need more things on the board.

Hi,

I uploaded photos of the FIO (Funnel I/O) module v1.0b yesterday. The prototype I have demonstrated to you at Oreilly Japan's office was PSoC based, but now it's an Arduino clone.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Key features are:

• An Arduino clone with a XBee module (802.15.4 or ZNet 2.5)
  • Almost same sise as a FRISK box (but much thicker...)
  • ATMEGA168V @ 8MHz (a ceramic resonator is optional)
  • On-board DC/DC converter (austriamicrosystems' AS1322)
  • The schematic was derived from LilyPad Arduino v1.6

I'm sorry for trouble you, but it would be much appreciated if you give me any comments and/or suggestions to improve the design.

Best,
Shigeru Kobayashi

http://gainer.cc

I see that you used an XBee module. Can't you downsize the whole thing by using another chip with a zigbee stack like a CC430 ?

Might need a new library / sketch to communicate with, though ^^ (and the QFN48 package is just impossible to solder by hand)

Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.

I see that you used an XBee module. Can't you downsize the whole thing by using another chip with a zigbee stack like a CC430 ?
CC2430 data sheet, product information and support | TI.com

Looks very interesting (actually I got EZ430-RF2500). But might not fit to the short term development, and I have to apply many permissions to use officially. I'll consider for the next major version. :wink:

Thanks,
Shigeru

Hi,

I assembled FIO v1.0. It would be much appreciated if you give me comments and/or suggestions. :wink:

Imgur

Damn this is nice!

I agree. Very nice!

One small comment. I know you probably don't want to make the board any longer, but I'm guessing there will be people who will want to be able to make shields out of standard prototyping (perf) board. Having to cut out a notch to be able to access the power and ground pins will make this much more difficult. You might consider moving the XBee back so you can get to all the pins with a rectangular shield.

(We made a similar mistake with the Arduino pin layout and standard perf-board shields, and I'd hate to see it get repeated.)

I have a question about working with the XBee, can you use the arduino with the Xbee shield to give a PC a Xbee device? I am working on a device powered by the Arduino, and I need Xbee as part of the application, and I want to know if I can use the USB with the Arduino to control a set of relays and as a Xbee device at the same time

Hi,

It works great if you jumper the Xbee to use an unused i/o pin and access it via Software Serial, and leave the hardware port available for the USB connection.

See this thread for an example: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1215072377

I have a question about working with the XBee, can you use the arduino with the Xbee shield to give a PC a Xbee device? I am working on a device powered by the Arduino, and I need Xbee as part of the application, and I want to know if I can use the USB with the Arduino to control a set of relays and as a Xbee device at the same time

Hi,

Thank you very much for your kindly suggestions about FIO. Finally, FIO v1.3 (in collaborate with Nathan Seidle) is available at SparkFun.

Now the board is compatible with normal prototyping boards (no special shapes needed). Please note, the USB port is just for charging (no USB-to-UART bridge is mounted), but you can upload your sketches with the auto-reset function suggested by Ladyada (thanks!).

It would be much appreciated if you give me suggestions about the design of FIO v1.3. :wink:

Best,
Shigeru

Funnel IO is a very impressive design and implementation. I think the built-in Lithium Ion charger chip is brilliant as this design begs to be embedded into weight sensitive applications such as R/C aircraft.

Lefty

Looks very nice!

Did you consider including (or did you) a six-pin header (possibly unmounted) to allow the board to be programmed using an FTDI cable? That would lower the cost needed to start loading sketches onto the board.

Hi,

Did you consider including (or did you) a six-pin header (possibly unmounted) to allow the board to be programmed using an FTDI cable? That would lower the cost needed to start loading sketches onto the board.

Yes. Please look at the right side (actually top side in the picture). The first six pins are compatible with SparkFun's FTDI Basic Breakout modules, so also compatible with FTDI's.

Thanks,
Shigeru

Ah brilliant! I was expecting something awkwardly included in another spot on the board, so I missed the beautifully integrated header that you used. Nice one.

Hi,

Thanks. Actually, it was Nathan's suggestion. :wink:

Please feel free to let me know if you have further suggestions.

Best,
Shigeru

Shigeru-

I just received my Funnel I/O in the mail today; what an elegant design! Very nice work. I have one small suggestion for a future revision and that would be to add an out line or some kind of marker in the silkscreen to remind the user which way the XBee module gets plugged in. I notice you had that on your prototypes, but it's been removed from v1.3.

Unfortunately, I had to re-solder one of the 2mm XBee sockets because one pin was filled with solder when it arrived, but that's no big deal, I know that's hard to avoid with these sockets. Once again, thanks for the great design with lots of possibilities!

Hi,

Wow, you might be the first person who gets FIO v1.3! I'm really glad to know that you likes. :slight_smile:

I have one small suggestion for a future revision and that would be to add an out line or some kind of marker in the silkscreen to remind the user which way the XBee module gets plugged in. I notice you had that on your prototypes, but it's been removed from v1.3.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll consider for the next revision. :wink:

Best,
Shigeru

Just got my Funnel IO's - Nice work, but could you give us a hint which way the Xbee goes in the socket? I suppose I could puzzle it out, but a photo here (or on the funnel site) would help a lot of folks.