* MP3 Shield * - Rogue Robotics rMP3

I rerouted to 3 and 4, simply because 5 and 6 are used by my LED Keypad shield, which I need for my Jukebox project. When I first looked at rerouting, I was hoping to use the little holes that lead to the pads, by threading a simple tinned wire through each. However, those holes are too small, too... It could have been a nice option, though.

Geez. I forgot you posted that earlier.

I was thinking of maybe just using some standard holes in place of the pads next time.

Have you got a blog/page for your jukebox? It would be great to see.

b

Not yet, my site is down, but I do plan on posting a start to finish mini site. I'll be sure to send you a link when it's up. Maybe you could use it as a case study?

That would be great! Thanks! Let me know if you need any help with coding - I'd love to help.

b

considering the vast amount of shields around, it might be worth making a list of pins used by them all

I agree with this but obviously not the easiest thing to do.

The idea thing would be an interactive list where you can add shields to see which pins are the same and which of the pins on those shields are re-routable (if any).

Anyone want to help take on this challenge?

Mowcius

Er, no. :slight_smile:

haha, thanks! ;D

Well, I started a playground page to start documenting the pins used:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/ShieldPinUsage

(see http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1273208396)

b

Ok. Nice. I will see what I can help with later.

Mowcius

I read all the replies to this post and the site details but am still not sure about 2 things.

I was reading a post about this being able to break out frequencies to over 20 bands, any details on that?

Can the rMP3 read music directly via an input jack or does this only work with mp3 files loaded on the SD Card?

I was reading a post about this being able to break out frequencies to max 23 bands, any details on that?

It's still in beta. It can be done and brett will link you to the code if you want it. As far as I know, the beta is being released soon with more examples as to how to do this and other things.

Can the rMP3 read music directly via an input jack or does this only work with mp3 files loaded on the SD Card?

It doesn't have an input jack but as it plays its own music I'm not sure why you'd want to input music to it.

Mowcius

... I'm not sure why you'd want to input music to it.

I want to make something anyone can come plug their own mp3 player (or any device or microphone) and have it split the bands to dance and/or show a simple EQ.

The EQ chip from blip does 7 bands and that is good enough for most needs, but wanted to see if this device could provide more details. It can, but not for my specific case of needing audio input. I realize this product is not made for that purpose and it may pull those details from the mp3 file, so I can see how it would not fit my current need .. but wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks for the details.

I want to make something anyone can come plug their own mp3 player (or any device or microphone) and have it split the bands to dance and/or show a simple EQ.

The EQ chip from blip does 7 bands and that is good enough for most needs, but wanted to see if this device could provide more details. It can, but not for my specific case of needing audio input. I realize this product is not made for that purpose and it may pull those details from the mp3 file, so I can see how it would not fit my current need .. but wanted to ask to be sure.

Thanks for the details.

No problem. It does not sound like it is suitable for your purpose.

Mowcius

Yeah. The spectrum analyzer on the rMP3 is in the digital domain only (it's done internally on the VLSI chip).

FYI: the beta will be posted tomorrow. It includes the custom 1 to 23 band spectrum analyzer (with peak values), and mp3 track time retrieval.

b

New beta firmware with some fixes and new features can be found here:

http://code.google.com/p/rogue-code/downloads/detail?name=rMP3-100-02-b002.zip

You'll also need to download the latest RogueMP3/RogueSD libraries to get at the new features.

New features:

• added: PC Y command to retrieve spectrum analyzer output (PC Y P for peaks, PC Y S to set bands).
  • added: IC T command to retrieve track length.
  • added: low power mode.
  • fixed: hang on boot (vs10xx init problem).
  • fixed: wildcard handling in listing commands.
  • fixed: 7 bit trigger repeats if held low.
  • fixed: playback speed change - 250% now acceptable, playback time updated.
  • fixed: temp settings not loaded from config file.

The LCD example is included in the latest RogueMP3 library.

More documentation forthcoming at our WikiDocs - just yell at me if you need help with anything.

b

:smiley: yippee

Now I just need to find some time to play with it.

Mowcius

Nice stuff. This is on my hot list for sure.

Side note: In the video - is that one of those off the shelf POV clocks (not sure the name) and you have modified it?

want to make something anyone can come plug their own mp3 player (or any device or microphone) and have it split the bands to dance and/or show a simple EQ.

Thanks for the details.

In the video - is that one of those off the shelf POV clocks (not sure the name) and you have modified it?

Having chatted to him, I can say that it is an off the shelf pendulum clock that has had the display hacked to run the clock and rMP3 visualisations.

Mowcius

Yeah, I'm putting a page together with all the details about that clock and then I'll show it off.

b