Wooden enclosure for 'professional' product

Hello.

I'm in the prototyping stages of a product that I'd like to get into stores and actually be sold. So there's CE certifications and all manner of stuff to work out. I'm just scratching the surface, gonna be a long journey.

I'd like to present said product in a combined wood + plastic enclosure. Does anyone have an idea or two about the feasibility of this, in regards to certification with any/all official bodies within the EU? Maybe done it themselves, or seen it done elsewhere? Fire-hazard considerations? Problems with exporting, on account of the wood?

The product is low-voltage, 6v, battery-powered, runs on 4*AAA-batteries, I should add.

The product is low-voltage, 6v, battery-powered, runs on 4*AAA-batteries, I should add.

If this is non health related and has no safety issues, there is no certification in our country.

That said, there is always someone ready to sue …

You will have to check for regulations in yours.

Having a brother lawyer is a good thing to have.

"on account of the wood"

Not really any difference in wood and plastic.

Suggest you enjoy your hobby and forget commercialization.

larryd:
If this is non health related and has no safety issues, there is no certification in our country.

Thanks for the input. In which country do you live?

larryd:

It certainly crossed my mind! Yet there's all this about having to support a family, those things.

larryd:

That said, there is always someone ready to sue …

Having a brother lawyer is a good thing to have.

"on account of the wood"

Not really any difference in wood and plastic.

Wood absorbs moisture and warps. Also dies out an shrinks. Plastic does neither. However, plastic does generate and hold static electricity. Wood requires some kind of finish material on the external surfaces. Plastic does not.

Paul