robotic arm

Hi
My name is George and i'm from greece. I'm studying electrical engineering. I have to make a project for my robotics course and this project is to built a robotic arm with arduino but i'm totaly new and i dont know what i will need to buy and what boards i will need use.
something like that Robot arm controlled by Arduino UNO - YouTube

Thank you for your time and advice!

i'm totaly new and i dont know what i will need to buy and what boards i will need use.

It said, right there on the video site, that the project used a Uno. What are your requirements? Build a robot arm is WAY too vague. What is the arm supposed to do? Feel up your girlfriend? That will require different capabilities and programming than a pick and place robotic arm, which will be different from a totally user controlled arm. At least, I hope it will.

I have to control six dc motors and make some certain moves i couldn't find something relevant at youtube i just gave that link to saw you how i imagine that it will be. About that certain moves i want it just pick up an item and put it somewhere else (and not feel up my girlfriend). Sorry for my english.
Any help is acceptable i'm just gathering informations that will help me for my project.

I have to control six dc motors

Generally, DIY robot arms use servos, which can be controlled using the Servo class, and one pin, by the Arduino.

and make some certain moves

That's where the hard part comes in - actually programming the controller. Which Arduino you choose for the controller doesn't really matter. They are all programmed the same way.

I know that it would be better to use servo-motors but i cant find them in Greece and the only servo motors i found was really expensive. In addition i saw that other people uses arduino shields to control motors but some shields i saw was to control only 2 motors

The alternative to servos is stepper motors.

You will have a very difficult time controlling the speed, direction, and position of an arm driven by a regular electric motor, and the motor has no holding torque when stopped.

Servos and stepper motors do.

Steppers motors are generally not driven using shields, but by motor driver boards that connect to just two pins on the Arduino, for direction and to step.

thanks that helped a lot i will start looking for stepper motors....:wink:

Hobby king below has European distribution points and a large selection of inexpensive servos. The bottom link should show many different types of robotic arms on youtube.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.asp

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=arduino+arm