Eagle Questions (Nets and titles)

I asked about this on another forum. Lotsa looks, no replies...

I'm new to Eagle. I've been getting a good handle on how it works and am pretty pleased with some of the boards I've drawn up.

I have two questions that I just cannot find the answer to.

1. Nets. Following a couple of tutorials I found instead of drawing connections between every ground and VCC point I used the symbols from the 'supply' library. When I went to create the PCB none of the grounds or VCC were joined. I even enabled the display of the pins in the schematic making sure my nets actually connected to the 'pin' on each VCC or GND connection. I see a lot of other schematic drawings using this method.

I'm sure this is something really simple but it rally eludes me as to what I am missing.

1. On the lower right of many schematics I see posted there are blocks for a title, author, date, revision etc.

How do I enter that into my schematics?

Thanks in advance.

1. Nets. That's an odd one. Maybe if you can post your schematic somewhere we can take a look.

2. The title block is available in the FRAMES.LBR library. For example, try typing 'add letter_l' in the Eagle command-line bar. There are several variants in that library.

--
The Arduino Drum Machine: 14-track MIDI drum machine sequencer / groove-box

Rugged...

Thank you. Frames was exactly what I needed for the 'title' block.

One down! :wink:

Now for nets, I'd have to redraw the schematic. After fighting with it for hours to try and get the thing to work right I just gave up and connected all the VCC and GND points.

I do not have time to redraw it right now. Likely can have this tomorrow.

Alrighty then.... I have no idea what I am doing different but I just edited the schematic to remove all the direct connections and added a bunch of ground and +5V symbols. Now it all JustWorks[tm]

Aroo???

{head -> desk}{head -> desk}{head -> desk}{head -> desk}

Minimal Arduino-10-pin-ISP-V1.1.sch (89.7 KB)

Minimal Arduino-10-pin-ISP-V1.1.brd (14.2 KB)

{head -> desk}{head -> desk}{head -> desk}{head -> desk}

I think that should be

{head -> desk();}{head -> desk();}{head -> desk();}{head -> desk();}

The curly braces aren't really needed.

The curly braces aren't really needed.

Heh. Of course not. And I should have just used a loop...

:wink:

Now, I have figured out what I was doing wrong, at least with regard to power nets...

Where I'm still scratching my head is on nets where the connection is not actually drawn in the schematic. For example I saw a schematic where there was a IC that fed into a terminal block. Rather than draw all the lines the output from the IC was labeled and the connection on the terminal block were correspondingly labeled. This made the schematic less cluttered. But how did the nets get connected for use in creating the board layout?

Does my question make sense?

In Eagle, two nets with the same name are electrically connected, even if not visually connected by a wire.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

RuggedCircuits:
In Eagle, two nets with the same name are electrically connected, even if not visually connected by a wire.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

Ok, that I expected to be the case. Now how to do this while while drawing a schematic?

Thank you.

Use the NAME tool to give the net a name (click on the NAME tool, then click on the net, then type in a suitable name). You won't see anything different. Then, use the LABEL tool, click on the net, then the name will appear. Use the mouse to position it on the net.

Another useful command is SHOW. Type "SHOW NETNAME" and the net with name NETNAME will be highlighted on your schematic.

--
The Aussie Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

Thank you. I'll be trying that out tomorrow on a fresh design.