recommended CAD programm for drawing cases

My current project is far enough that I want a dedicated enclosure. I already found some company that offers to customize prefabricated enclosures. That is you order the enclosure and tell them where you want additional holes.

Telling them about the holes means to provide an "dwf" "dwg" or "dxf" file. Actually they provide such files and I can add the holes. Now I need a CAD program to put the holes in place.

Has anyone a recommendation for such a program given the following constraints:

1. Must supports at least one of the formats named about
  2. Must be free or almost free (since I will use it probably only once)
  3. Should run under Linux
  4. Should be easy to use.

If I can have only (3) or (4) I would go for (4) if the ease of use is significantly better. If I can have only (2) or (4) I will have to go for (2).

Any recommendations or suggestions?

Udo

Hi,

I know this one that i use often. it is like a basic version of AutoCAD, but much more simple... and free! In open dxf, dwg and dxf. The unique problem is that is runs under windows only!.... It follow your requests, except the operative system. But if you will use it only ones, probably you could install it in the computer of one of your friends...

In any case, i remember that ones o found a similar software for linux... so i will search again on google.

Madpable, thanks for this hint. With regard to windows: I might run it in a VM. This is not a big issue, it is only anyoing.

Udo

I can't vouch for any of these, but:

btw - type "linux cad" into google - you may find something!

:slight_smile:

You might also try:

Ah, these are helpful links.

Thanks Cr0sh.

I already found some company that offers to customize prefabricated enclosures. That is you order the enclosure and tell them where you want additional holes.

Udo,
Can you post a link to this company?

If you want to design your own you can try TurboCAD free for 30 days.
http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/FreeTrials/tabid/85/Default.aspx
It is incredibly powerful and fairly easy to use in my opinion. I am going to buy it.

Here is a 2 piece enclosure I just finished designing with TurboCAD that I am currently having laser cut, bent, studs pressed and powder coated.

http://www.bnkk.net/images/enc.PNG

Good luck,
-BBM3

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm#2D3DCADSystems

@bbm3: Sure, here it is:

Udo

You can use:

It´s free for home user and run under wine.

Best Regards

Thank you Udo!

If your a student get a free download any AutoCad software here: Autodesk Education Community Resources | Autodesk . Only program I've used mainly because it's only one that I need to know(working towards Masters of Mechanical Engineering). If your not a student, still can download a 3 month evaluation of the software. Or there's always torrent search....

Or there's always torrent search....

A bit out of date (and somewhat useless to me, since I run *nix), but I found a copy of AutoCAD 2000 at Goodwill for 99 cents - full version, actual CDs, manual, the whole works.

:slight_smile:

By now I found a very powerful and free program that is a definite overkill for my needs. Open Source, runs under windows and/or Linux, supports any file format I might want, has lots of tutorials in text form and on Youtube. Just if somebody happens to require such a program as well: I will go for Blender. Not exactly a CAD program but definitely sufficient to model some cases :slight_smile:

Meets all constraints but "easy to use". On the other side: by now I understand that no 3D program will be very easy to use for beginners and powerful at the same time. So I will invest the time.

Udo