Designing for the Internet of Things

My latest blog @ microcontrollercentral

Link: http://www.microcontrollercentral.com/author.asp?section_id=2304&doc_id=252563&

I'm not sure yet if the IoT is a good or bad thing. Do I really want my toaster to order more bread when I've got 3 slices left :slight_smile:

As a gadget freak though I like the idea of having everything networked, just because it sounds neat.

Rob

@rob
The underlying question you make is, should it be masters or slaves?
The 1st can act reactive and proactive and the 2nd only reactive.

The other underlying question is one of security and privacy:

• If someone hacks your toaster what can happen? Overheating?
  • Or if your fridge monitors what you eat and send it to your life insurance?

There are more scenarios, good and bad and ...

There are more scenarios, good and bad and ...

I think all this will happen in the future definitely not because I fantasize or like this happening but it looks precise the same in the favor of my tone the way technology in the last decade has developed.

Or if your fridge monitors what you eat and send it to your life insurance?

Classic :slight_smile:

One day it will probably get to that.

Rob

Just saw the 2nd ep of the the new Red Dwarf series 10. No, I don't want any computer thinking ahead for me!

I wanna know where you're getting reliable GSM service for $2 a month.

I have 2 GSM phones (one with Straight Talk on AT&T, and one with T-Mobile), and I can't even get reliable connections inside my house (which is less than 5 miles from town). Much less "in the forest": at my main client's office, the T-Mobile phone doesn't work at all, and the other one only works about half the time. And only if I go outdoors and stand so I can actually see the tower (Actually, that's not quite true: about 20% of the time, I can send a text indoors with only one or two tries. And the phone rings about 10% of the time when someone tries to call me. But I can't answer it: the call drops before I can even get off a "Hello").

If you're using GSM, you'd better be designing for the Internet of Urban Things.

I wanna know where you're getting reliable GSM service for $2 a month.

And its good service if not the best also with 2 GB data anywhere in whole of India(which is pretty vast area) and that too valid for a complete month.

And its good service if not the best also with 2 GB data anywhere in whole of India

Is that just the advertising or have you tested it yourself XD

We are going to need a lot of IP addresses, how widespread is use of IPv6 now?

There will be all sorts of problems that are are not obvious, like the example of the insurance company accessing the fridge to see what you have been eating. A current example is thieves using remote read utility meters to determine which houses are vacant and so can be burgled.

One interesting article I read recently indicated that agriculture might have to move down the route of robots tending individual plants and zapping individual weeds with micro-dots of weedkiller. The claim was that the savings in fertilizer and water and the reduction in ecological damage would make it viable. It does conjour up images of masses of internet connected robots working away in the fields.

They want to minimize eco-damage then they quit poisoning the ground and water altogether.

For the sake of greed, develop little Terminators. Then when the crop yields are too high, the excess is burned or buried or dumped in the sea to keep prices up.