Proximity Sensor

Hello. I am new at using Arduino and microcontrollers. I have an application that uses an inductive proximity sensor with pnp output, 24vdc. Is there a way that I can use this with an UNO? I keep reading that we are never to go over the 5V. Is there a signal conditionning circuit that I can put together to help me out?

Thanks,

Yari.

The load of a digital input is low so a resistor voltage divider should work.

Thank you johnwasser.

I just want to be sure that I understand. I will have a Uno powered with 5VDC like usual. I will have a KS0108 by Adafruit to display the RPM. The PNP sensor is already on a machine but will be used to count the teeth on a gear so that we can get the RPM. There are 3 wires, Brown (10-30VDC), Blue (0V) and Black (Signal wire). Just to make sure I remember a little of my electronics, are you suggesting that I plug the Black wire to a voltage divider in the following manner?

I would have 10VDC power my sensor, put two 1/4Watt 470 ohm resistors in series, connect my black signal wire to the first resistor and ground to the bottom of the second and get a junction wire in between the two resistors with which to connect to the input pin on the Uno?

Thanks again for the help.

I would have 10VDC power my sensor, put two 1/4Watt 470 ohm resistors in series, connect my black signal wire to the first
resistor and ground to the bottom of the second and get a junction wire in between the two resistors with which to connect
to the input pin on the Uno?

Yes, that's what I envisioned.