1st Adruino. What to get?

Just bought my 1st Arduino and to my great surprise when I opened the box the ONLY thing included was the board itself. No usb cord... not even a power cord. I could understand not including any resistors, capacitors, motors or senors, I guess..

Is there a beginners 'kit' out there that has a little bit of everything?

Mainly I just want to show my livid frustration that this thing didn't even come with a power cord. How much does a raspberry pi cost?

Thank you for your input.

Moderator edit: Language. AWOL

You can power it from a USB cord, just like a Raspberry Pi, though unlike the Pi, the Arduino doesn't need such a high current, so a USB port will do, rather than a charger like the Pi.

Please mind your language.

Yep there are a number of starter kits, like this one for example.... but then you'll end up with two Unoes :roll_eyes:

If they included a USB cable and a power pack the price would go up $10.

Most people have a USB cable (eg. for a printer) and thus the extra parts are not warranted.

How much does a raspberry pi cost?

That doesn't come with a power pack, I just want to warn you. And you might find it considerably more frustrating to work with.

Neightron:
Just bought my 1st Arduino and to my great surprise when I opened the box the ONLY thing included was the board itself. No usb cord... not even a power cord.
Mainly I just want to show my livid frustration that this thing didn't even come with a power cord. How much does a raspberry pi cost?

It doesn't need a "power cord", just USB.

The people who make Arduino know that everybody can get their hands on a USB cable in about 10 seconds. Including another one would just add more junk to the Earth (and also put the price up).

Once you add in a power adapter, SD card, etc., a Raspberry Pi costs about 2.5 times as much as an Arduino. Good luck getting a Raspberry Pi to light up a LED or read a switch.

fungus:
The people who make Arduino know that everybody can get their hands on a USB cable in about 10 seconds. Including another one would just add more junk to the Earth (and also put the price up).

Mind you, from the Chinese dealers, the USB cable makes virtually no difference to the price.

What is rather convenient, is getting a short USB cable which doesn't keep pulling the thing off the bench.

Not only no power pack, no SD card, no HDMI cable (or HDMI to DVI-D for a desk monitor). Most of us have, or should have, keyboards and mice lying around. I go for mice at 50 cents to $1 at garage sales.

What is rather cute, though I have not used it too seriously, is the ability to run the Arduino IDE on the Pi. Of course, you need a hub ...

Haven't tried doing I/O with the Pi, not sure I dare. There's the 3.3V business, could be easier to smoke than an Arduino, and at four or five times the price ...

Perhaps if they had a printer from several years ago. I believe modern printers all have switched to micro-USB (and slightly older printers used mini-USB), The Arduino is the only device I have in the house that has the square-ish USB B female connector. Fortunately, I do have plenty of cables back from the era when those were popular cables.

Most things seem to have switched to the micro-B connector (there are European laws that mandate most electronic devices use the micro-B for charging, though Apple as always goes its own way). Adafruit seems to be the exception where their Gemma/Trinket use the mini-B connector that was previously the popular choice, but it has since been deprecated by the USB standards committee.

Paul__B:

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=190234.msg1408391#msg1408391 date=1380353085]

How much does a raspberry pi cost?

That doesn't come with a power pack, I just want to warn you. And you might find it considerably more frustrating to work with.

Not only no power pack, no SD card, no HDMI cable (or HDMI to DVI-D for a desk monitor).

Haven't tried doing I/O with the Pi, not sure I dare. There's the 3.3V business, could be easier to smoke than an Arduino, and at four or five times the price ...
[/quote]

For final builds I usually put in one of those $4 Arduino Pro-minis you can get on eBay. That's about 15 times cheaper than a R-Pi (and a lot smaller/lower power).

MichaelMeissner:
Most people have a USB cable (eg. for a printer) and thus the extra parts are not warranted.

I'm glad they don't include a USB cable. The planet doesn't need any more cables/packaging. The size of an Arduino box is perfect.

There are many different arduino boards. What arduino did you get? Show us the URL where you bought it.
Did it indicate power supply, and USB cable, and capacitors,resistors ETC.?

MichaelMeissner:
Perhaps if they had a printer from several years ago. I believe modern printers all have switched to micro-USB (and slightly older printers used mini-USB),

Wow! All the shops around here (Dick Smith, Harvey Norman) must be seriously retarded because I have never seen anything other than a standard "B"-type USB connector on a printer!

Now I am going to go peering at printers ...

fungus:
For final builds I usually put in one of those $4 Arduino Pro-minis you can get on eBay. That's about 15 times cheaper than a R-Pi (and a lot smaller/lower power).

Shhh! Careful what you say around here! "They" don't like you buying counterfeits, you are only supposed to talk about the real Arduinos!

And it is actually US $3.69.

Shhh! Careful what you say around here! "They" don't like you buying counterfeits, you are only supposed to talk about the real Arduinos!

Talk about the fakes all you like, but kindly remember who pays the bills around here.

You won't be banned for talking about fakes, but I think it is courteous to support the people who provide this forum. After all it gets 1.5 million hits a day, with 380,000 visits. That takes serious money to support.

Paul__B:

MichaelMeissner:
Perhaps if they had a printer from several years ago. I believe modern printers all have switched to micro-USB (and slightly older printers used mini-USB),

Wow! All the shops around here (Dick Smith, Harvey Norman) must be seriously retarded because I have never seen anything other than a standard "B"-type USB connector on a printer!

Now I am going to go peering at printers ...

I actually haven't bought a printer in a few years, so I may be mistaken about printers and USB (and the printers we use are all network printers). I recall when I got the Arduino, looking around, and I didn't see that many Usb-B cables, and I assumed they had gone the way of the dodo. Then I had to dig into my box of retro technologies (25-pin rs-232 cables, scsi-1/2 cables, ISA add-on cards) to get my cache of B cable's. Maybe places just aren't selling the cable in retail outlets.

Just about everything besides Apple has gone to micro-B, so I assumed printers had to. Sorry to mislead you.

Paul__B:

It's open hardware, they knew what they were getting into...

I do all my prototyping on genuine Arduinos.

MichaelMeissner:
Perhaps if they had a printer from several years ago. I believe modern printers all have switched to micro-USB (and slightly older printers used mini-USB)

That's curious. I haven't ever seen a printer that used mini or micro USB. Centronics, RJ45, and full-sized USB type 'B' only. Not saying they don't exist, but even working IT, I've never crossed paths with one.

MichaelMeissner:
The Arduino is the only device I have in the house that has the square-ish USB B female connector.

I say this more in defense of Arduino than to try and beat a dead horse... but, I have tons of devices that use USB 'B' cables. Hard drives, a couple sound cards, a scanner, three printers (laser, ink jet, small photo), a couple old DSL modems, a video capture device, several hubs (though some of those are mini B instead), various control interfaces for fancy electronics... So no shortage of compatible USB cables here! :wink:

MichaelMeissner:
Most things seem to have switched to the micro-B connector (there are European laws that mandate most electronic devices use the micro-B for charging, though Apple as always goes its own way).

Heheh.. OK, now in Apple's defense, the USB standards committee is doing a crap job these days. The two formerly popular USB cables (full size 'B' and mini) were well thought-out and served most purposes just fine. With the plethora of ultra tiny devices now, it did make sense to provide a smaller alternative (the micro), despite the fact that the last thing we need is yet another connector. Here's where things went awry though. First, you have USB 3.0 which requires its own new connector. So that's two new cable types to track down when you need them. (Alright, you can usually stuff a 2.0 cable in a 3.0 device, so it could be worse I guess.)

But, the real let-down was the pitiful current limit of the new micro connector. Apple being Apple, they probably would've used their own anyway, but their Lightning connector was designed for the explosion of mobile devices that really benefit from a small connector. It supports rapid charging (or just adequate charging for higher-current devices like tablets) where the mini connector would have to limit current draw to 1A, IIRC. Also, the Lightning connector can't be inserted the wrong way -- there is no wrong way. When plugging micro or mini USB cables in blind (in the dark, or in the back of a device where you can't see the port), you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, which means you'll usually only succeed on the third or fourth attempt.

In short, Lightning is everything USB micro should've been. One downside is that it requires an IC in the cable itself to support the wealth of protocols that come out the bottom of an Apple device. But that has little to do with the connector itself. The other downside is it's yet another cable, and you can only get them from Apple, Apple-certified third parties, and the usual assortment of knock-off vendors of dubious quality -- meaning it'll either cost you $30, or it could burst into flames at any moment.

Not sure of the point of that - all I get is an animation of Conway's "life".

Really? This is what I got a moment ago:

Citation:

Wolfram Alpha LLC. 2013. Wolfram|Alpha. http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=arduino.cc (access September 30, 2013).

I believe I am within their terms of service posting that as this (here) is a non-commercial website isn't it? You don't pay to use it.

I was being a bit subtle. There's too much cross-site junk on that page and NoScript clearly does not like it. I didn't fancy wading through it all.

Then I hope you weren't surprised when it didn't work as you expected.

I don't understand folks who attempt to use modern web sites with NoScript and cookies turned off, and expect anything at all to be functional. This isn't 1997 anymore. The web isn't navigable with Links and Mosaic. :wink: