Atmel 328P alternatives/similar chips with at least 2 UART ports

Hello,

I am looking for a replacement chip for the 328P that is equivalent but has at least 2 UART ports. I tried looking through Atmel's part list but found it difficult to find exactly what I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks

sabregreen:
Hello,

I am looking for a replacement chip for the 328P that is equivalent but has at least 2 UART ports. I tried looking through Atmel's part list but found it difficult to find exactly what I need. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Equivalent as in fits in same socket? 1284's have 2 hardware uarts and can do everything a 328 can do and more it does not fit into the socket though. It does come in a pdip bread board able form factor for under 10 bucks. Software serial not cutting it for you?

Well off the top of my head a 644p has two, 1280 and 2560 both have 4, a 1284 has two. I'm sure there are other AVR 8 bit chips but these seem to be the most popular because they are either directly supported by the Arduino IDE or have had users come up with the needed changes to add support for them.

Lefty

UART is more reliable. Same size package is not a requirement at this point. Just looking for the same features with additional UART basically. Ideally, I'm looking for one with two UART ports and one with at least four. I will look into those mentioned so far. Thanks for the replies.

I like '1284Ps. I have used them in several variations of boards, pictured here. Bare PCBs available as well for DIP and surface mount parts.
www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17
Boards will accept any of the 40 pin DIPs/44 Pin TQFPs: 324x, 644x, 1284x.

Setup the IDE

Select Bobuino as board type for mine.
This one for instance can be used with offboard FTDI Basic/FTDI cable, or CP2102 module, or install a MIKROE483 on board if want 'built-in' USB support.

For four UARTs built in, you need 640/1280/2560.
SMD only.

Not sure if I should start a separate topic, but is there an equivalent to either of these chips that has a 12bit adc?

Not that I know.
MCP3201 to MCP3208 are easy to use 12 bit ADC chips with fast SPI reads.

I'd really like to have it built in as opposed to an add-on chip. What about using the XMEGA or AVR UC3 32-bit chips?

If you go here

and select Parameters, I think it will open a table showing parameters for all the parts, showing things like how bits the ADC supports.

32-bit AVR UC3

C-Series

Benefits

•Floating point unit (FPU)
•FlashVault™ code protection
•Ethernet support
•Dual CAN and LIN interfaces
•USB with OTG
•PWM with dead-time insertion
•16-channel 12-bit ADC with dual sample-and-hold circuit for simultaneous sampling of 2 signals
•4-channel 1.5 Msps 12-bit analog DAC