Cloud-based IDE for Arduino (with wifi firmware upload)

If you love your 'duino, set it free.

Imagine your Arduino with no tethers -- no desktop-based development environment, no USB cable.

d'innovative has just started beta testing an online IDE for Arduino called wifino. With wifino, all your Arduino code is stored and compiled in the cloud using a browser-based editor. No more searching for libraries, no more trying to put together toolchains for new platforms like iOS or Android. If you have a CSS3/HTML5 browser, you can write and compile code for the Arduino.

Firware hex files are available for download and can be deployed using avrdude. Additionally, we're working on a wifi interface and apps for iPhone and Windows to download code from the online IDE directly to your Arduino (or wifino) via an 802.11b/g network. We have demo videos on our youtube channel showing the prototype Windows app and iPhone app.

The hardware portion of the wifino system will be available as an Arduino-compatible board, or an Arduino shield, or a set of instructions on how to interface a wifi chip with your existing Arduino Uno.

wifino is a solution that frees your 'duino. Frees it from the confines of a desktop development application. Frees it from a USB cable. Frees it do you what you want, when you want, where you want.

Visit our Product site or our IDE site today. Join our youtube channel where we'll post some other videos of wifino in action. We're actively seeking involvement and feedback from the community. We're also looking for more beta testers. Let us know if you're interested -- join our forum and send a PM to [tod] ...

thnx
tod
d'innovative

wifino IDE now in open beta!

Create your account at http://forum.wifino.com and log on at http://ide.wifino.com to try the IDE beta.

How does it address other chips, like ATMega1284?

Right now, the online IDE supports development and compilation for any chips supported by the Arduino IDE. The wireless network code upload has been tested using the Arduino Uno and uno-compatible boards. I believe it should also work with the nano, but other chips have not been evaluated for the deployment clients.

That said, you can use your existing deployment tools (avrdude) and just take advantage of the online IDE today. Please join our beta and try it yourself with any other chips. Post your results to the forum.

tod

Online IDE has been updated with several new features:

• Build option for 22 different Arduino models
  • Syntax highlighting (includes all library keywords)
  • Examples - import examples from libraries directly into your projects
  • clang (advanced syntax checker in Tools)
  • Git interface, simplified, for version tracking
  • src file uploading (via zip file)

Thanks for all the input from the community on which features we should add. We look forward to continuing to work with you on making this project a valuable tool!

tod
d'innovative

Hi,

I like the idea. However beside from the fact that I did not receive a confirmation from the site after registrating, I could not get it working so far.

I loaded avrdude (and all the other avr toolchain) from Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Discussion: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=122043

avrdude runs on my Google/Asus Nexus 7, tries to upload. However, the FTDI in the UNO Board is known (dmesg) but there seems no port (/dev/ttyUSB* something?!) beeing created for using with avrdude. The Nexus 7 is using the latest 4.1.1 Android and is rooted of course.

So for me (no need to go wireless) this is the end here. Any suggestions welcome.

Carsten

Bringing back the topic....

I did it the hard way as it seemed to be impossible to find the proper module. I downloaded the kernel sources (Android 4.1.1 for my Asus/Google Nexus 7, tegra) and compiled the module needed myself (on Linux).

Did load it into the system, put a Arduino Diecemilla via USB OTG on and was able to upload my first .hex with avrdude.

So a rooted Android device (with Android >=4.0!) given, it is quite easy to do.

I can provide the module if you like (only for the Nexus 7).

Carsten

Cloud-based IDE is a great idea, but it requires active internet connection.
So if you don't have it or you're on your way just use offline arduino IDE - ArduinoDroid:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.antonsmirnov.android.arduinodroid