Small-footprint Due

P - I have read your thread on ETH in its entirety a few days ago. You are doing truly amazing work for the community (ETH, CAN, etc...).

Sadly I can't figure out sourcing for DM9161 chip...

quick question: how bad would it be to deviate from 0.1" pitch on external pins for MicroDue board? Right now those pins take up HALF of the board space by surface!

For example, we could use same spacing as XBee (2mm) and save some overall space and use space in the corners for mounting holes...

valerun:
P - I have read your thread on ETH in its entirety a few days ago. You are doing truly amazing work for the community (ETH, CAN, etc...).

Sadly I can't figure out sourcing for DM9161 chip...

Val- In case that you decide to add the EMAC peripheral to one of your boards, I'd rather recommend to use one Micrel PHY like KSZ8051MNL given Micrel's better hardware integration and available documentation.

http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/Ethernet/datasheets/ksz8051mnl-rnl.pdf

p

P - if you come up with schematics to connect to my RMII pinout, I promise I will make the shield :wink:

Great work, I'm currently working on a project that requires 2 Dues interconnected on a PCB. This would be a huge space saver for us. We'd definitely be interested in a low cost solution. Will keep track of your progress!

valerun:
P - if you come up with schematics to connect to my RMII pinout, I promise I will make the shield :wink:

No problem Val. I kept running DM9161 and KSZ8051MNL PHY chips with DUE some months ago without problems but the sketches and libraries still raw. I needed ten pins from the DUE but I believe MMI pins (MDC/MDIO) are not necessary (I need to verify that). Anyway, please, confirm to me the broken out EMAC pins of your DUE-based board as follows:

PIN NAME DUE PIN
-EREFCK: Reference clock pin-----------113 ETX_CLK
-ECRSDV: Carrier Sense/Data Valid------119 ERX_DV
-ERX0: bit Receive Data----------------120 ERXD0
-ERX1: bit Receive Data----------------121 ERXD1
-ERXER: Receive Error------------------122 ERX_ER
-ETXEN: Transmit Enable----------------114 ETX_EN
-ETX0: bit Transmit Data---------------115 ETXD0
-ETX1: bit Transmit Data---------------118 ETXD1

Thanks,
p

Palliser:

valerun:

No problem Val. I kept running DM9161 and KSZ8051MNL PHY chips with DUE some months ago without problems but the sketches and libraries still raw. I needed ten pins from the DUE but I believe MMI pins (MDC/MDIO) are not necessary (I need to verify that). Anyway, please, confirm to me the broken out EMAC pins of your DUE-based board as follows:

PIN NAME DUE PIN
-EREFCK: Reference clock pin-----------113 ETX_CLK
-ECRSDV: Carrier Sense/Data Valid------119 ERX_DV
-ERX0: bit Receive Data----------------120 ERXD0
-ERX1: bit Receive Data----------------121 ERXD1
-ERXER: Receive Error------------------122 ERX_ER
-ETXEN: Transmit Enable----------------114 ETX_EN
-ETX0: bit Transmit Data---------------115 ETXD0
-ETX1: bit Transmit Data---------------118 ETXD1

Thanks,
p

Yes, I have these exact pins broken out. I looked at the BOM for Micrel-based shield and I think we could offer a ETH MicroShield at $15-20 pricing point

valerun:
Yes, I have these exact pins broken out. I looked at the BOM for Micrel-based shield and I think we could offer a ETH MicroShield at $15-20 pricing point

Man, that would be a good deal considering that some Micrel distributors sell the KSZ8051MNL small eval board for more than US$100.

p

FYI we were talked out of 2mm pitch pins. So 0.1" pitch it is.

Do you have any timescale on when you might know the pricing?

I am relatively certain it's going to be below $25 for the MicroDue board

Are there by chance schematics available yet for the MicroDue board?

dkrenzel:
Are there by chance schematics available yet for the MicroDue board?

Thanks for your interest!

Not yet - board is still in testing.

We should have some good updates in the next 3-4 weeks. Production is ready to go as soon as we get it through testing.

V

Hello Val!
I hope everything is going well with your tests of the small-footprint Due. I am eager to work with it and specially interested in the CAN bus functionality. Regards,

p

Hello Val! ANy news on the Small-footprint Due? Thanks.

Nice work - this is something I am interested in as well.

I would be interested in this too, but it seems to have disappeared down a black hole.

I might have a go at designing something similar.

I made a start :slight_smile:

ETA: Just for the archives my version of "MicroDue" morphed into "CoreSam3x" and I started a new thread CoreSam3x - small format Due compatible - Arduino Due - Arduino Forum

Schematic.pdf (156 KB)

Hi Friends,

I did an Arduino Due compatible design based on ATSAM3X8E but somehow USB interface is not working.
I have my schematics and the detailed issue posted here:

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=328843.msg2269583#msg2269583

Since you guys have experience of making a smaller Arduino Due board, can you please help figure out what might be the issue with my design?

Thanks