What to buy for a starter?

Hi!

I just decided to start learning Arduino. However, the official starter kit is kind of expensive for me.

Is the starter kit worth the price for a starter? Or should I get other stuff to start with? My budget is around 100 bucks.

tonyzheng:
My budget is around 100 bucks.

Many countries refer to their currencies as "bucks" but I assume you mean USD? Well this adafruit kit will leave you enough to get this meter

JimboZA:

tonyzheng:
My budget is around 100 bucks.

Many countries refer to their currencies as "bucks" but I assume you mean USD? Well this adafruit kit will leave you enough to get this meter

Sorry. I meant US dollars. Thanks for the suggestion

This set has a lot of stuff too
http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index.php?l=product_detail&p=395
We donated 2 sets to our local charter school along with copies of our book.

CrossRoads:
This set has a lot of stuff too
http://yourduino.com/sunshop2/index.php?l=product_detail&p=395
We donated 2 sets to our local charter school along with copies of our book.

Thanks!

Latter kit seems to have more functional modules.

The other has a batter snap and connector. Note that you should not use a "PP3" small 9V battery, but a holder for six "AA" batteries which they do not include. Just mentioning! :smiley:

Paul__B:
Latter kit seems to have more functional modules.

The other has a batter snap and connector. Note that you should not use a "PP3" small 9V battery, but a holder for six "AA" batteries which they do not include. Just mentioning! :smiley:

Thanks! Could you explain to me why?

They have very little capacity: they can't provide 9V at much current or maybe more important, for very long. Rather, 6x1.5 gives you a far better 9V source of current that lasts much longer.

JimboZA:
They have very little capacity: they can't provide 9V at much current or maybe more important, for very long. Rather, 6x1.5 gives you a far better 9V source of current that lasts much longer.

Assuming the thing can run on 7.2 volts, I would tend to use 6 Nimh rechargeable batteries, which give out 1.2 volts for most of the run time, and since the batteries are rechargeable, you just pop them into a charger. Use 8 AA batteries if you need more voltage (9.6v).

I tend to like batteries meant for charging cell phones that provide 5v via the USB port, as long as you don't want to power servos or motors.

I had the same question. Useful thread :slight_smile:

Andres32:
I had the same question. Useful thread :slight_smile:

I'm glad this thread helped not just myself