Pulsante a tempo e uso della funzione millis()

Hello to all! I'm struggling with the project for the graduation exam, and my intention is to bring a PCM modulator homebuilt using arduino as transmission line (with the help of the Xbee). At this modulator want to add us a treat: it must also send text messages. Now, using the LCD display 16x2, I am creating a keypad consists of 12 keys, just like the phones a bit dated. I have written an outline of the program and now with this panel can not write all the letters, including space and delete key. My problem comes here: to write the numbers. Example: when you press the button ABC, passed two seconds to print the number on the display 2. How can I do? I heard about the function millis (), but has not had much success when I tested. You may postarmi a sketch of code? Thanks in advance! smiley smiley grin-

Primary language is English on the international part of the forum, please provide a translation (google translate is your friend)
Lingua principale è l'inglese sulla parte internazionale del forum, si prega di fornire una traduzione (traduttori di Google è tuo amico)