IDE Keyboard Shortcuts

I'm on a Acer 5570 laptop running Ubuntu 7.04, I have a USB keyboard but the problem is on both my USB keyboard and laptop keyboard so I'm pretty sure it's the software's error.

When I press CTRL-Z, CTRL-X, CTRL-C, CTRL-V, it will actually type in a Z, X, C, or a V into my code, now I have to use the right click to copy and paste.

This is especially annoying since CTRL-Z is undo and it does undo my last action, but then it puts a Z in my code, and the next time I undo, it only undos the Z.

Which version of Java are you running? I think this only happens with Java 1.6; don't ask me why Sun decided to break keyboard shortcuts. Can you use an older version of Java instead?

would downgrading affect any other programs?

i'm trying to check everything to see if it requires java 6

Which version of Java are you running? I think this only happens with Java 1.6; don't ask me why Sun decided to break keyboard shortcuts. Can you use an older version of Java instead?

Hi, I don't think Sun is to blame here. The Arduino-IDE is the first app I have seen where shortcuts are broken when using the 1.6JRE. I'm using a variety of java-applications which use a source-code from JRE1.3 - 1.6 . All of them still work fine (keyboard-shortcuts wise).
I think this issue needs some attention in the short term. JavaRE 1.5 will probably disappear very quickly once the open-sourcing of Java takes off.

Eberhard

Yea, you're probably right. This behavior actually comes, I believe, from Processing, which the Arduino environment is based on. I'll see what I can do about getting it fixed there as well (so I can port the fix to Arduino).

I've uninstalled Java 1.6 and installed Java 1.5, now the Arduino IDE won't run, I've switched back now.

I've started using gnome's editor, it has autosave and a good syntax highlighting scheme.

Oh since you might release a fix soon, it'll be really nice if you guys could automatically select the virtual serial port for me, because sometimes it's there but not selected and it won't upload. It's the only serial port on my computer.

Definitely not 1.6's fault. Works fine for me.

What are the terminal commands used to compile then upload a sketch? I want to make a shell script that will work with another editor like gnome's editor.

There is a Makefile which I believe can be used for console compiling.

Hi

Definitely not 1.6's fault. Works fine for me.

Which Operating System are you running?
I never tried Windows, but on Linux I have that error no matter what release of JRE 1.6 I use.
Eberhard

I'm using Gentoo Linux with Sun JDK 1.6.0.02.

Although now that you mention it, my middle mouse button clipboard isn't working with the IDE.
Keyboard shortcuts are fine though.

Thanks cheater,
I missed an update!

Version 1.6.0.02 works fine on Ubuntu, too.
Bad news is that this JDK-Version is not available through Adept. (Only version 1.6.00 the one with the bug!)

I'll leave a note in the playground.

[edit]
Here's the note
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Linux/Ubuntu
[/edit]
Eberhard

just telling you guys, this bug is gone in ubuntu 7.10 gutsy gibbon