Cellphone+Bluetooth+Arduino+Small LCD screen

Hi!

First this is little introduction in my problem:
I like to riding the motorcycle and sometimes that rides can take sometimes couple of hours, and meantime I keep my cellphone in the jacket and I can't see is someone calling me, or did I recived SMS.

So I've got the idea to use arduino and bluetooth module to on some way simulate the headset, and when someone is calling me to display that data on the small LCD screen.

I tried to google it, but I couldn't find some article or something where is someone built the arduino to simulate headset.

So does anyone know is this possible to do, and how hard it is?

Thanks!

I like to riding the motorcycle

I do to.

and sometimes that rides can take sometimes couple of hours

Or days.

and meantime I keep my cellphone in the jacket and I can't see is someone calling me, or did I recived SMS.

Leave the cell phone at home. End of problem. You want to ride or you want to talk on the phone? Stay home of you want to talk on the phone.

Yes arduino friend this is possible with android smartphone , Bluetooth shield ,arduino and LCD screen. I create an android application https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.sms.bt IO sms Bluetooth when receive sms send to arduino bluetooth.I created for bike riders another application Detect call Bluetooth.Look inside my site www.power7.net

jocoj100:
Hi!

First this is little introduction in my problem:
I like to riding the motorcycle and sometimes that rides can take sometimes couple of hours, and meantime I keep my cellphone in the jacket and I can't see is someone calling me, or did I recived SMS.

So I've got the idea to use arduino and bluetooth module to on some way simulate the headset, and when someone is calling me to display that data on the small LCD screen.

I tried to google it, but I couldn't find some article or something where is someone built the arduino to simulate headset.

So does anyone know is this possible to do, and how hard it is?

Thanks!

A $7 OLED display and a $7 bluetooth would work perfectly for this project. I'd do it with a Teensy 2.0 to keep everything super small. You'd need a bit of Android app experience, but it would be a simple project. And, now that you bring it up, sounds like a good winter project for me before bike season starts when it warms up here.

Tim

First of all, thank you on suggestions.

This thing with android isn't bad, but problem is that I don't have android phone, and also I'm planing do the same thing for my friend.

Is it possible to make this without any apps on cellphone, I want to Arduino behave like an ordinary bluetooth headset?

Thanks!

It is possible but you must create java application for old cellphones or if you find something from internet...

jocoj100:
First of all, thank you on suggestions.

This thing with android isn't bad, but problem is that I don't have android phone, and also I'm planing do the same thing for my friend.

Is it possible to make this without any apps on cellphone, I want to Arduino behave like an ordinary bluetooth headset?

Thanks!

Typically, the bluetooth modules easily pair and establish a serial connection to the phone. A serial connection is useful for sending just about anything. But, you need phone-side software to listen for messages or calls and then output that information over bluetooth to the Arduino which would accept it from a serial connection. Not saying that one doesn't exist, but I don't know of a bluetooth module that will interface with a phone and automatically send text messages and caller ID information. Maybe such an interface exists, I'm just not aware of one that would work with an old-school phone without an app.

Tim

I want to simulate, the typical bluetooth headset, like ones what you need to have when you want to drive a car and talk on cellphone.

And I only need function to show, me when is phone ringing and when I have recived SMS, and just display on the LCD for phone call:"Someone is calling you", and for SMS:"You got the SMS", I don't need to respond on call with my headset, or read a message or something like that.

jocoj100:
I want to simulate, the typical bluetooth headset, like ones what you need to have when you want to drive a car and talk on cellphone.

And I only need function to show, me when is phone ringing and when I have recived SMS, and just display on the LCD for phone call:"Someone is calling you", and for SMS:"You got the SMS", I don't need to respond on call with my headset, or read a message or something like that.

That would need a headset bluetooth connection and not a serial bluetooth connection (there are many types of bluetooth connections). However, as the Arduino is really bad at audio, you'll be hard-pressed to find hardware that will do this, or an Arduino library to process the information. Also, a headset bluetooth connection won't transmit an SMS notification. You'll need a different type of bluetooth connection for that.

Basically, I don't think you'll be able to do it without an Android or Apple phone that you can write an app for. Also, it will be fairly advanced as you'll need to be able to write both a smartphone app as well as an Arduino sketch.

Tim

Ok, thanks on help.

Just one more question, so that I don't need open the new topic.

Does anyone have the link on ebay for the small LCD screen, about 3*1 cm, that I can connect to Arduino, I'm planing to use this for the thermometer?

jocoj100:
Ok, thanks on help.

Just one more question, so that I don't need open the new topic.

Does anyone have the link on ebay for the small LCD screen, about 3*1 cm, that I can connect to Arduino, I'm planing to use this for the thermometer?

I use this: http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=797&productname=

It's a VERY small OLED display that you communicate with via I2C. But, if you want the text big you may need a graphic display and not a character-based display. The problem will be something that you can see under sunlight (if you're still talking about this being on your bike). Lots of displays are unreadable in sunlight. I'd look for something that works in sunlight, has an easy interface (like I2C) and there's already a library created for the Arduino to interface with it.

Tim

Hi!

This is to big to me, I'm need something like this motorcycle have:
http://www.motorsloop.com/images/suzuki/2871GSXR750SR05.JPG

And if it's possible I need the ebay link, because I live in small European country.

Thanks!

jocoj100:
Hi!

This is to big to me, I'm need something like this motorcycle have:
http://www.motorsloop.com/images/suzuki/2871GSXR750SR05.JPG

And if it's possible I need the ebay link, because I live in small European country.

Thanks!

Too big or too small? The display I linked is very small. I don't see a temperature gauge on the picture you posted. The link I provided is from Hong Kong, they ship to Europe I'm sure.

If you just want a temperature gauge, maybe this will work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-THERMOMETER-YAMAHA-STEM-NUT-MOUNT-BLACK-DIAL-WATERPROOF-/251064756666

I have something very similar on my motorcycle. I don't stem mount it (because it would be hard to read on my bike), I have it clamped to my bars.

Tim

Hi!

It's height is twice bigger than I need, width is OK.

I'm planing to wire small lcd and push button to arduino and depending on push button show, current time, or outside ambient temp. or voltage.

Can I use for example LCD from this motorcycle that I'm linked in previous post, or from some other, because there is lot's of bikes that have this small lcd's in ther dashboards?

jocoj100:
Hi!

It's height is twice bigger than I need, width is OK.

I'm planing to wire small lcd and push button to arduino and depending on push button show, current time, or outside ambient temp. or voltage.

Can I use for example LCD from this motorcycle that I'm linked in previous post, or from some other, because there is lot's of bikes that have this small lcd's in ther dashboards?

All three of those can be listed at the same time on that display. And that is the smallest display I've ever seen. It's the size of a penny! SUPER small.

Tim

As I sad before, it's height is twice bigger than I have the space, in my rev counter, so this wont fit.

Can I use these LCD's from motorcycle's dashboards, I know that they are graphical, but can I connect them to Arduino, and using some of existing graphics libraries display data on it?

I just found this LCD, on Mouser, when I remove the plastic isolation, it would fit, and only question what is left, is it hard to wire, because it's parallel?

jocoj100:
As I sad before, it's height is twice bigger than I have the space, in my rev counter, so this wont fit.

Can I use these LCD's from motorcycle's dashboards, I know that they are graphical, but can I connect them to Arduino, and using some of existing graphics libraries display data on it?

The entire board is 25mm x 25mm, but the display is MUCH smaller, even than the other model you listed. If I remember I'll measure it tonight, it's about 1cm high by 2cm wide, about a quarter the size of the one you linked to. Like I said it's REALLY tiny. It also has a simple I2C interface.

Tim