Doesn't someone around here...

have their own skin for the forum or something? I'm wondering if it is possible to configure something somewhere so that screen-names that appear on a list on my machine will show up in red on my display of the forum. That way I can keep a list of belligerents and I don't have to go searching or anything, it will automatically let me know they are on the list.

My solution is a Firefox add-on named "Word Highlighter":

It's far from an ideal solution. It doesn't work for words that contain non-letter/number characters such as an underscore. It doesn't work for multiple word "phrases", which is needed on stack exchange. You can't limit it to a specific domain, which is extremely annoying when I put someone on the list who has a common word as user name. The UI is very clunky. You can't search or sort or export the list. The highlighting can cause the occasional glitch. I've had it mess up the formatting text I was copy/pasting from GitHub that contained highlighted words.

That said, I've spent a lot of time searching for solutions and trying all the other alternatives I could find and this is definitely the best one. I'm really surprised there aren't more options for this application. It seems like a very

I had another I was using for quite a while that allowed you to add words by selecting and right clicking, which was super convenient, but Firefox disabled that sort of functionality for add-ons and killed it.

I also was using one for a while that allowed you to chose highlight colors. I could use this to code information about why the user was on the list that could be read at a glance. Word highlighter does allow you to add notes and these are shown in a pop-up when you hover over the highlighted word so that's pretty nice.

One interesting thing I've found after maintaining this list over a long period of time is that I rarely see these people post again. I don't know if they are just here for a single post or whether they go and create a new account every time. It almost doesn't seem worth the effort and I haven't been bothering with it much lately. I find it more useful on GitHub, where it helps me remember to avoid further attempts to contribute to the projects of a small number of people who have acted very disrespectfully in the past.

I made a request to add this sort of feature to Moduino, but the author is no longer active in the Arduino community so I don't think there's any chance it will happen:

Delta_G:
That way I can keep a list of belligerents and I don't have to go searching or anything,

Are there so many that you can't remember?

...R

It's the one post wonders that drive me crazy. That and our behavior of continuing to help long after they have left the building. Perhaps a plug-in that would make the name flash of the post count is 1.

ChrisTenone:
It's the one post wonders that drive me crazy. That and our behavior of continuing to help long after they have left the building. Perhaps a plug-in that would make the name flash of the post count is 1.

I try to help but I am here to learn and I pick things up from posts even if the OP has left.

ardly:
I try to help but I am here to learn and I pick things up from posts even if the OP has left.

That's true, and this site is quite the resource. But often one posters have confused question and most of the follow up is requests for more information.

I too have gained so much here - in fact nearly all of my Arduino knowledge has been at least inspired from here, if not straight up learned here.

ChrisTenone:
That's true, and this site is quite the resource. But often one posters have confused question and most of the follow up is requests for more information.

I too have gained so much here - in fact nearly all of my Arduino knowledge has been at least inspired from here, if not straight up learned here.

A lot of the stuff I would never have thought of, that "blow out LED candle for instance". There has also been add on kit that I have been totally unaware of, I would not even have Googled for it because it just did not occur to me that kit with that functionality existed.

One problem for me though is finding the posts several months after reading them. I can remember that I read a post with something neat in it, but finding it again can be difficult even with site search.

ardly:
I would not even have Googled for it because it just did not occur to me that kit with that functionality existed.

It seems to me that is a facility that we are losing because all the high-street shops are closing. When I walk into a shop I often see things I did not know existed. Thankfully most of the time I have no need of them - but sometimes I spot something great.

One problem for me though is finding the posts several months after reading them. I can remember that I read a post with something neat in it, but finding it again can be difficult even with site search.

I make a habit of bookmarking things that I figure I may wish to return to either for my own benefit or to refer to them in replies to other questions.

...R

Robin2:
I make a habit of bookmarking things that I figure I may wish to return to either for my own benefit or to refer to them in replies to other questions.

...R

I'm lost on my bookmark, sometime I need to erase most of them because I don't remember why I saved :slight_smile:

Delta_G:
have their own skin for the forum or something? I'm wondering if it is possible to configure something somewhere so that screen-names that appear on a list on my machine will show up in red on my display of the forum. That way I can keep a list of belligerents and I don't have to go searching or anything, it will automatically let me know they are on the list.

Why not create a folder in your bookmarks called "Delta_G's Deplorables"; save and rename links using the offender's name for future searches of your bookmarks... just, please, don't make me your first entry. :wink:

Patrick_M:
I'm lost on my bookmark, sometime I need to erase most of them because I don't remember why I saved :slight_smile:

When saving a bookmark it is a good idea to give it a name that is meaningful to you and perhaps to include words that you would naturally use when searching for it.

Also it is possible to group bookmarks into things like folders. For example I have one group for all the Threads that I start because that way I can find them without remembering their names :slight_smile:

...R