Monitoring a tube amplifier: ~450VDC and ~40mA

I work on tube amps alot, but I'm just getting into the world of Arduino. I'd like to build a monitor to display operating information for a guitar tube amplifier. Ideally, I'd be able to display the following information in an LCD output:

Plate voltage: typically 350 - 460 VDC
Cathode current: typically 20 - 40 mA
Watts: (V * I), typiically 5 - 40 W
Temperature: not sure what the typical tube socket temp is

Plate Voltage
I'm thinking I can use a voltage divider circuit to bring the high VDC down under the 5V range. The maximum VDC I ever realistically anticipate is about 525VDC, so I've spec'd out the voltage divider to handle up to 750VDC and put a very tiny (<.08mA) demand on the circuit. The voltage divider circuit needs to be located at the tube socket to keep the high VDC away from the Arduino.

o------- 10M -----o--------o-----> Arduino [A0]
 |                 |        |
V(hi)             68K      V(lo)
 o-----------------o--------o-----> Arduino [GND]

V(lo) x (68K + 10M)
V(hi) = -------------------

Example: 3.1V is read by the Arduino [V(lo)], then V(hi) = 459V.

Question: I don't like the idea of tying the amp's ground to the Arduino ground. What else can I do?

Cathode Current
The easiest thing to do is to place a 1 ohm resistor between the tube's cathode and ground.
Measuring the voltage drop across the 1 ohm resistor makes it trivial to compute the current -- 1mV = 1mA.

Question: Are the Arduino analog inputs accurate in the 20mV to 50mV range? Is there a better (Arduino-friendy) way to compute the current?

Voltage divider looks good.

Question: I don't like the idea of tying the amp's ground to the Arduino ground. What else can I do?

Ya got to.

Question: Are the Arduino analog inputs accurate in the 20mV to 50mV range?

not very.

Is there a better (Arduino-friendy) way to compute the current?

doesn't your amp already have a ballast resistor in the cathode? how is the cathode current normally returned to ground? got schematic?

Some folks measure return current in the B+ rectifier.

I've attached a classic (and very typical) tube amp schematic.

You'll notice the 2 output tubes (6V6GT) have their cathodes tied to ground. This is typically where amp techs solder a 1 ohm cathode-to-ground resistor, to make it easier to re-bias a new set of tubes.

Measuring return current at the rectifier wouldn't exactly work, because that would measure the circuit's currrent, not the tube's.

Too bad about the grounded "source" connection of your "high voltage vacuum FET", you dont wanna add much resistance in there. Probably best to use 1 ohm and amplify the result.

Use an op amp that goes to the negative rail and you can run it off a single supply +5V. LM324 works, other choices may have lower offset error, etc., but remeber you can trim offset in software :smiley: I'd say about 1k and 50k would be good resistor choices for a +5v Arduino, that gives +5v for 100 mA.

Wouldnt hurt to add a series resistor for Vi maybe 10k just in case the input gets connected to anything bad.