Board name with COM number in windows

In the windows version of the IDE, arduinos are listed as COM port numbers such as COM10. If the device manager and X-CTU can see the name, such as "arduino mega 2560 R3", besides the COM number, why would arduino IDE not include this name next to port number? If I have an UNO and a MEGA 2560 and an xbee explorer all connected to my win PC, I will be able to tell which one is which on the port list.

I often have multiple arduino boards and FTDI etc. boards connected to my PC. I find it very confusing. I have to go to device manager to make sure I'm not going to reset a unit that I've been testing for several consecutive days by mistakenly selecting its COM port to upload sketch intended for another arduino.

Isn't the naming of the port as MEGA 2560 R3 for this purpose?

A somewhat related question: if I handle more than a few dozen arduinos, say for builds, I will quickly use a few dozen COM port numbers. Is there a way to not create unique COM port numbers for each connected arduino, which I only need for testing after build? Before I upgraded to a new machine, the COM number ran up to a very large value on my older machine! I know Linux always starts from like USB0 regardless what you plug in. I want this optional feature for win system, any software or settings to tweak to get it?

I agree names should be used.

Is there a way to not create unique COM port numbers for each connected arduino

They can't all have the same port. The settings are stored in the registry, which you can try modify, it is a nightmare to find the assignments as they are stored using their component ID. Not to mention each port is cluttered with data from every other device ever connected.

How about making a 'middle man' Arduino that other duinos connect to. Then you'll only have one device connected.

If you can use the windows API, you can write an application that creates its own virtual com port and simply pipes the data to the Arduino's port or even many Ardunos at once.

Pyro,

You made me think (ouch that hurts). What if I used one arduino mega and remove its reset mechanism and instead hook it to an interrupt. Then it should be able to detect when the PC wants to reset it and receives serial transmission and pass it on to another port and flip the reset on the target board. This requires some special connector on the target arduino's shield for easy connection.

But I still don't know all the story about bootloader and programming. I am guessing the target arduino, if directly connected to a PC, also replies back to PC. Is there anything more sophisticated than just passing its reply through my programming arduino back to PC?

Is there a way to not create unique COM port numbers for each connected arduino, which I only need for testing after build? Before I upgraded to a new machine, the COM number ran up to a very large value on my older machine! I know Linux always starts from like USB0 regardless what you plug in. I want this optional feature for win system, any software or settings to tweak to get it?

In Windows, you "can" delete old connections, but you must start device manager with a batch switch:

REM http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539
ECHO OFF
CLS
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Now, from the view/tool menu, select show hidden devices ...
Under the serial/comm device tree, press Del key on virtual comm ports to clear out the lot.
Close device manager, plug in an Arduino, and the P&P system will now begin assigning immediately after physical on-machine device numbers, typically Com3,

Ray

Great! Thank you Ray. Worked as you described.

Isn't this a problem only if you have more then one arduino board plugged into the PC at the same time? The IDE will only show active COM ports not every possible COM port used in the past?

liudr:
Great! Thank you Ray. Worked as you described.

I routinely prune my P&P USB com devices. Since I have started doing this, the 32U4 pro-micro boards seem to work consistently all the time under Vista. Also, when working with my Trinket clones or the Digispark t85, pruning seems to make for a consistent experience.

Also, this is a nice thing to do before teaching a beginner Arduino class... all students have the same serial port number! Matches documentation, overheads, etc.

Ray

Good points Ray, especially teaching! I was just thinking that I have gone through too many Arduinos when doing builds and my com port number goes up to some large number, which I want to reduce.

liudr:
Good points Ray, especially teaching! I was just thinking that I have gone through too many Arduinos when doing builds and my com port number goes up to some large number, which I want to reduce.

I have my own VID/PID pairs I often use for playing with V-USB, you cannot believe how screwed I can make Windows! Utilities like USBview.exe & SniffUSB,exe are helpful.

Ray

Certainly is a nice tip. The windows article was useful.