Made My Own Arduino Board - ATMEGA32U4 - Bootloader Questions

MrBEEF:
I made a board, which I want to use arduino SW on. It uses an ATMEGA32U4 and has basic features, but is not a copy of the Leonardo Schematic. I wish to load a bootloader for arduino, and then build support for it in Arduino using the 3rd-party as as I am supposed to.

OK, well you've taken me out of my area of expertise with this bit. I have experience uploading bootloaders using things like the AVRISP and also my own software, eg.

and:

However, all those use SPI programming, whereas your chip uses PDI. Now I don't have a hardware PDI programmer, and although I have an AVR Dragon this model doesn't (seem to) support the PDI interface.

I attempted to make a PDI programmer using a Uno, but the documentation for the protocol is somewhat sparse, and I haven't succeeded yet.

If I had one, I could download the firmware from my Leonardo, and confirm whether or not it agrees with the hex file we were discussing.

But when I go to load the board...it fails. Perhaps I am totally missing a detail or I have no idea what I am doing lol.

This part is unclear. What did you load onto what, and what connections did you make?