Help getting started

Hi everybody. Sorry but where I come from it´s extremely difficult to get electronic supplies. Can I use either of these to run Arduino: ATtiny45 or Ttiny2313? Thanks, Alberto.

Do you have an ICSP?

You can always order from the dozens of sites (ebay included) that sell electronics for hobbyists (including Arduinos).

I don´t have a credit card, shipping would x10 and nobody does that type fo favor due to the fact of $400 limit per Year; I can get these two locally.
I plan to build everything myself, using my parallel port foe ICSP.
Can I run Arduino on these, please?

Can I run Arduino on these

I don't think so, at least no easily . You can see the list of "arduino" (or compatible) boards in the menu Tools/Board of Arduino IDE.

florinc:

Can I run Arduino on these

I don't think so, at least no easily . You can see the list of "arduino" (or compatible) boards in the menu Tools/Board of Arduino IDE.

What do you mean with "no easily"? I finished this some days ago: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-on-all-sorts-of-Atmels/

alah: With the help of that you should be able to use many different ATtinys /ATmegas etc.

JanD

JanD,
Great tutorial, thanks for that.
By "not easily", I mean that one needs to be pretty knowledgeable to do that.
Just by burning a bootloader on a avr and supporting it in Arduino IDE, does that make it an Arduino? For example, do we expect the Ethernet shield to work with the an "Arduino" with ATtiny?

florinc:
JanD,
Great tutorial, thanks for that.
By "not easily", I mean that one needs to be pretty knowledgeable to do that.
Just by burning a bootloader on a avr and supporting it in Arduino IDE, does that make it an Arduino? For example, do we expect the Ethernet shield to work with the an "Arduino" with ATtiny?

To do easy things like setting an output or reading an input or similar should be done pretty easy even without much knowledge, but things like the ethernet shield etc. are of course not so easy to use, even with Mark's core files.

JanD

Can I run Arduino on these, please?

As long as you have a way to program them...

I plan to build everything myself, using my parallel port foe ICSP.

...which you will, then the answer is "yes". You will need a "core". There is a list of available cores here...
http://code.google.com/p/arduino-tiny

Notes...

The 2313 has very little SRAM. You will be restricted to very simple applications. The 45 is an improvement but even it is rather limited. You may want to find someone in the U.S. (or neighboring country) who is willing to barter for a handful of 85s (or 84s or whatever suites your needs).

It is unlikely that an Arduino library (like Servo) will work on a Tiny processor without modifications.

I do NOT want to start a fight with you, Coding Badly, but with the help of my tutorial on instructables you can program many AVR MCUs. There are other core files out there other than the ones from Coding Badly and Mark Sproul (witch are used in my instructable), so choose the ones you think are the best. I use Mark's because they have support for many different MCUs, not only ATtinys.

JanD

I do NOT want to start a fight with you, Coding Badly, but with the help of my tutorial on instructables you can program many AVR MCUs.

@alah did not ask about "many AVR MCUs". He asked a specific question about two specific tiny processors.

When @alah has his tools in place, your tutorial will make an excellent starting point.

There are other core files out there other than the ones from Coding Badly and Mark Sproul (witch are used in my instructable), so choose the ones you think are the best.

If you had taken the few seconds necessary to follow the link I posted you would have found that the opening page of the website includes a list of cores appropriate for tiny processors including Mark Sproul's core.

I use Mark's because they have support for many different MCUs, not only ATtinys.

His core is incomplete for tiny processors. There are much better choices available.

@alah did not ask about "many AVR MCUs". He asked a specific question about two specific tiny processors.

I meant more generaly.

If you had taken the few seconds necessary to follow the link I posted you would have found that the opening page of the website includes a list of cores appropriate for tiny processors including Mark Sproul's core.

I have already taken some time to look at your site, but I don't think if I need to repost the links.

His core is incomplete for tiny processors. There are much better choices available.

I must say you are right with that, but the way Marks core files (and the new with that the new ones released with the new IDE) are made on register basis, meaning it's easier to add more MCUs. Can be that your core files are that too, but I haven't looked at them more than with a glance.

JanD

OK Coding Badly, florinc and JanD:
First of all, THANKS.
As a newbie, I´ll need to start with small and simple projects like flashing two LEDs with two buttons to START and STOP ( I know it can be done with just one button ).
So that´s only 3 or 4 I/O pins. Speed isn´t any problem at this time, 10 MHz is fine.
I´m going through JanD´s instructable and I can get an ATMega88V.
I´m following ITP PhysicalComputing ´s instructions, so hopefully I should have my LED blinking by next week! I´ll let You know how I´m doing. Thanks again, Alberto .