Serial pass-thru advice

Hi, I need to use Standard Firmata for an application I am working on through a PC/USB connect but need to pass-thru the serial data to a software serial port (the Arduino , in this case is hopefully acting like an echo "bridge" to an Xbee series 1 used as a wireless serial link to a remote Arduino board.) although i would rather not, I -have- to use Firmata for the GUI side interfacing at the PC end because it won't work with anything else , and I know already that I can usually just use a directly connected Xbee on a USB breakout board for MOST stuff- just can't do that in this situation. Any suggestions? I mean, I personally avoid having to glue stuff together like this , but in this case i can't avoid using Firmata (NetLAB Toolkit restriction) so if any of you smart whizzes have some idea about how I can hack this let me know.

All the Best! And thanks in advance.

Looks like the SoftwareSerial example sketch pretty much does exactly what you want, "glues" the hardware serial and software serial ports together. What comes in on one goes out the other, and vice versa:

Thanks Tylernt. In fact, I just wrote a VB front end GUI today going from the example at : FirmataVB .NET component to replace the NetLab front end if I had any more problems. Netlab is pretty spiffy and easy to use, nice html5 and flash controls when used with Arduino , but it's still a little too limited now with Xbees FYI. No output sliders or such work for direct connect of a Xbee for transmitting through Firmata within Netlab, but it receives just fine. Philip over there has done a good job though, and I definitely support the NetLab effort despite it's current shortcomings with Xbees. Widgets that access Internet of Things (IoT) Cloud Services could be extremely useful depending on what you wanted to accomplish. In any case, I guess I will try both - maybe the modified VB front end for local connects and then web connects with stuff like Netlab later as the toolkit matures some. Nice to meet you and thanks again. I often forget about the examples...ha! Never needed a s/w serial on Arduino , not once , before now so had no idea that it's pass-thru like that.

Regards!